Half Shafts

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

KyleCrews

how in the hell do you get the half shafts of of the transmission. Tried to drop the tranny today but couldn't get the damn shafts off. The car is a '94 prelude h23. I know you have to take the nut off of the end of the shaft and the support thing on the driver side shaft but then how do i get them off? Any help would be great.

use a wrench...if it's anything like the b series half shaft...there are three bolts that go to the block...take those off and pull the shaft out the tranny...done!

tried that but the shafts are still in the tranny about a half a millimeter. Serously though they look like they are really close to coming off but just won't quite come out all the way. Anything i might be doing wrong? Took the three bolts off and everything, still won't come out. Any suggestions.

I had this problem on my b18 one of the times I dropped it out... the retaining ring on the end of the shaft bent up and wedged just inside the diff. I am assuming the car is on jackstands... get 2 jacks and put them up under the car for safety, sit on the ground under the car, brace your feet against something like the engine and pull HARD and with even pressure, don't jerk it > you can damage the diff. This was the only way I found to get it out.

Good luck but be safe, if the car isn't supported properly it will probably crush you.

Originally posted by Sed8ed@May 23 2003, 01:07 AM
Good luck but be safe, if the car isn't supported properly it will probably crush you.

lol straight to the point...now i'm scared to go change my oil lol

found a better solution to my problem then just yanking on it. It you remove the lower support bar(not sure if that is what it is really called but its the very bottom support thing on the suspension) and then you can twist the rotor and pull then shaft out easly. Just posting so if anyone else has to they won't have to spend hours on it trying to get them out.

So did you not take off the axle before removing the halfshaft?

Back