Hard cold start--No codes--Tried the search thing

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

JustG

Well first off this is my first post and i am sort of a noobie to the whole Honda experience. My background is with motorcycles as i am a mechanic of 5 years. A lot of my friends have hondas so most stuff is not that new to me and neither is troubleshooting. You wont find me posting a question without first exhausting all other resources and trying some things on my own.

My problem, I am throwing no cel codes, car runs great once warm, but when you start the engine you have to give about 25-50% throttle for it to fire up. Once started, I have to keep on the gas until the engine is warm at which point she idles and runs like a dream. If you dont give it gas it will fire up briefly and then die again, no matter how many times you try.

I tried the usual suggestions from this and other forums lik plugs, wires, bled the cooling system, cleaned the IATV(was pretty dirty) and also reseted the ECU.

ANY IDEA W>T>F is goin on???

'92 VX w/ B18c1 w/ LSD tranny
Chipped P28 ECU
Coil overs
GSR Leather seats
Custom Cosmic Candy Apple Red paint

The only thing i can think of might be the coolant sensor that controls the idle, you shouldnt have to keep on the gas, the idle should stay higher until engine is warm. Then idle normally.

According to your sig, the motor is a b18c gsr. If it's the obd1 motor, it has both an IACV (Idle air control valve) and a FITV (Fast idle thermo valve). Which one did you clean? It def. sounds like an idle control system problem.

Try letting the car warm up and then going through the procedure of adjusting the idle...

1. Let car warm up to operating temp.
2. Disconnect 2p connector on IACV. (Yes, you'll throw a code).
3. Adjust idle at the idle set screw to about 650 rpm.
NOTE: If the idle control screw doesn't let you go down that low, you may need to adjust the little allen screw that the throttle rotor rests on at closed throttle. If that still doesnt work, you need to adjust the FITV.
4. Once you get the car to idle at 650 rpm with the IACV unplugged, shut the car off.
5. reconnect the 2p connector on the IACV.
6. reset the ecu
7. Start engine and see if it worked.

@ detec

It was definatly the iatv that i cleaned, as for the fitv i was reminded of it earlier by someone and i totally overlooked it.

Thanks for your reply and i will go and try your idea asap. Its dumping snow on us here right now so ill see how far i get and let you know later. Thanks again for your troubleshoot idea!

Back