Hard steering when cold

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Gnat5680

My 92 integra has a problem steering when I first fire it up in the morning. I will be doing a power steering flush soon just because its over due.

Now, I am guessing the seals in my rack are going, But aside from an expensive repair, Wat else can i do to help the seals?

And does anyone know the going rate of a rack these days?

Thanks!

Try doing the flush first.

If by "cold" you mean sub-freezing, which I think you do, there may be some water in the system. And if you're overdue, go ahead and do it.

Well, I come out this morning and I have a big brown puddle on the ground. I think nothing of it. I just thought it was pop. Well, I start up the car and back out. I get a block away and notice I still done have power steering and it is making a humming noise. So I think to my self, I must have fawked up my power steering pump. I get back to my garage and pop the hod to find, My power steering cap looks like it barfed fluid everywhere. The cap was still on good but there was fluid all over the top. I look inside and it is foamed up. So now I know why i has no power steering, There is a leak some where in the system. So now I have to go out and buy the expensive fluid, let it squirt all over just to find a leak and then, I have to do the actual flush. And on top of all that, I just quit my job so things are doing great. lol

I think the question in all of this is, Can I just use plain old power steering fluid? or do I have the use the Honda Style?

Thanks!

no u dont have to use honda power steering fluid.. i would just take off the belt and have no power steering... but thats me...

yeah you have to use honda only power steering fluid or it will fuck up your seals and then you gotta replace all of them

I like having power steering, So I am leaving it on there.

I got some fluid, Put it in there, bleed the system, And now it is working fine. my guess is it got some water in it and shoved it out. But it works now.

It is hard as hell to find the viscosity or any other info on that stuff to use a replacement. One of the parts store ladies was saying she thought you could use a synthetic brake fluid. My guess would be DOT 5 due to the heat, But I am not risking it.

If any one knows of a replacement let me know!

Back