Hard to change bearings in D16z6??

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

hmtcrxsir

I was just wondering how hard is it to change the bearings in the D16z6? I want to know before i go to Honda and buy some OEM Bearings that cost a fortune!

pretty darn easy, about a ful day works. how long are you going to keep that motor? if it's shit hell, leave it save yourself some money.

Originally posted by sihatchback_RL@May 30 2005, 11:50 PM
pretty darn easy, about a ful day works. how long are you going to keep that motor? if it's shit hell, leave it save yourself some money.
[post=505488]Quoted post[/post]​

well i have a total of 3 cars. That's basically my daily commuter and not planning on changing the engine to a B Series engine. I'll save that to my 91 CRX. :D But I am willing to fix that engine up for a daily commuter. But other than that. No i wont upgrade that car or whatsoever.

Alot of guys at HondaTech and HMT discourage me on changing the bearings since im a beginner and all. But it's probably much easier than changing the whole engine itself. They told me that the hard part is measuring the clearance of the bearings. So if you can give me any info or any advice. I would greatly apprepicate it!

Also I am not sure if it's really my bearings or not. Well basically my engine was knocking pretty hard after oil starvartion. The knock got louder as rpm increases and also notice in loss of power. It's more of a rattling noise than a knock.

I'm also concerned that i might have scratch the crank.

so whats the difference between crank, main, rod bearings? I'm confused? And where are each bearings located at? Wish i got a helm manual. It would be so much easier.

Originally posted by hmtcrxsir+May 31 2005, 05:26 AM-->
Alot of guys at HondaTech and HMT discourage me on changing the bearings since im a beginner and all. But it's probably much easier than changing the whole engine itself. They told me that the hard part is measuring the clearance of the bearings. So if you can give me any info or any advice. I would greatly apprepicate it!
[post=505562]Quoted post[/post]​
It's definitely not a beginner job... leave it to a pro.
Originally posted by hmtcrxsir@May 31 2005, 05:26 AM
Also I am not sure if it's really my bearings or not. Well basically my engine was knocking pretty hard after oil starvartion. The knock got louder as rpm increases and also notice in loss of power. It's more of a rattling noise than a knock.

I would take the engine apart first to see what's going on before I spent $200-300 at Honda for new bearings... plus I would want to see which bearings I needed before spending money on a batch that could very well be all the wrong size.
Originally posted by hmtcrxsir@May 31 2005, 05:26 AM
I'm also concerned that i might have scratch the crank.

If you did, then you need it machined, polished, then spec'd out for bearings that can't be found by using your service manual anymore- your crank and block's letter/number codes won't mean a damn thing after you polish the crank.
hmtcrxsir
@May 31 2005, 11:19 AM
so whats the difference between crank, main, rod bearings? I'm confused? And where are each bearings located at? Wish i got a helm manual. It would be so much easier.
[post=505659]Quoted post[/post]​

Crank/main bearings = support the crankshaft in the block
Rod bearings = support the rods on the crank.

If you're asking questions like this and you don't even have a Helm manual, you really should NOT attempt replacing all your bearings. Hell, I don't even like dealing with it.

if you have no experiance with bulding engines i would not attempt this...go to school or have a trained technician help you

Back