1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hard to change bearings in D16z6??

Discussion in 'Engine Building' started by hmtcrxsir, May 30, 2005.

1. hmtcrxsir

hmtcrxsir Member

I was just wondering how hard is it to change the bearings in the D16z6? I want to know before i go to Honda and buy some OEM Bearings that cost a fortune!

2. sihatchback_RL

sihatchback_RL Senior Member

pretty darn easy, about a ful day works. how long are you going to keep that motor? if it's shit hell, leave it save yourself some money.

3. hmtcrxsir

hmtcrxsir Member

well i have a total of 3 cars. That's basically my daily commuter and not planning on changing the engine to a B Series engine. I'll save that to my 91 CRX. :D But I am willing to fix that engine up for a daily commuter. But other than that. No i wont upgrade that car or whatsoever.

Alot of guys at HondaTech and HMT discourage me on changing the bearings since im a beginner and all. But it's probably much easier than changing the whole engine itself. They told me that the hard part is measuring the clearance of the bearings. So if you can give me any info or any advice. I would greatly apprepicate it!

Also I am not sure if it's really my bearings or not. Well basically my engine was knocking pretty hard after oil starvartion. The knock got louder as rpm increases and also notice in loss of power. It's more of a rattling noise than a knock.

I'm also concerned that i might have scratch the crank.

4. hmtcrxsir

hmtcrxsir Member

so whats the difference between crank, main, rod bearings? I'm confused? And where are each bearings located at? Wish i got a helm manual. It would be so much easier.

5. phunky.buddha

phunky.buddha Admin with a big stick Admin VIP

Crank/main bearings = support the crankshaft in the block
    Rod bearings = support the rods on the crank.

If you're asking questions like this and you don't even have a Helm manual, you really should NOT attempt replacing all your bearings. Hell, I don't even like dealing with it.

6. jdmlovingcrx

jdmlovingcrx Member

if you have no experiance with bulding engines i would not attempt this...go to school or have a trained technician help you

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted