1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Harddrive and other component shock resistance

Discussion in 'Computers, Games, Electronics etc' started by K2e2vin, Jun 18, 2006.

1. K2e2vin

K2e2vin Senior Member

I got a portable pc(one of those small LAN party type microATX boxes...using it for audio and tuning); and was wondering is it ok to put in the car and have it strapped directly to the body or should I use some dampening?

2. pissedoffsol

pissedoffsol RETIRED

i'd wrap it in some foam. its the hard drive you need to worry about... unless you ahve a portable hard drive in it

3. TurboMirage

TurboMirage YEEAAAHHH VIP

nowadays shock resistance is becoming a major issue as we move toward bigger 250gb+ drives. manufacturers are putting more and more platters in just like the old days. yeah, that old 40MB hdd from connor that was double-sized. the old quantum bigfoot.

its proven best to NOT use a huge storage drive to put in your car. use something 100gb or less.

and yes, put foam underneath it ;)

4. K2e2vin

K2e2vin Senior Member

I alreight will do. It's a WD 15GB HD btw, so I should be fine? I had bought a WD 40GB one and traded it with my bro. Also, another thing; should I strap it down or use bungee cords or something(suggestions?) to help dissapate shock?

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted