harness replaced. now i need help

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

-94-AccordH22

94 accord h22 vtec the works.
anyway.
i replaced the interior harness after it caught on fire. and put all the fuses back in and i am not ever jumping something again. that was horrible. anyway. i got it all put back together and when i hit vtec in 2nd it was ok cuz i backed off at the stop light. but then i launch and let it hit vtec in first then right when i clutched in the ecu fuse popped. excatly what happened last time. when i drive normal and not let it hit vtec. it wont pop. but when i go into vtec its got like a 20 percent chance of not popping.

the fuse that keeps popping is the ecu main fuse. is there like a relay that is getting ready to go out or something.

thanks

no one?

my friends civic was doing the same thing and it ended up being a faulty main relay?
would that be it. the ecu/fi fuse 15A keeps popping when i drive. but now i replaced the fuse and it wont even start. it will crank. not start. and my friends did the same. it was his main relay?

or could it be the ecu itself. i got one of those 220 dollar "chipped" ebay ones.

Last edited:
man, that sucks. The main relay is pretty much the fuse box if memory serves. I would try to figure out why that fuse keeps popping. You might want to visit an electrician.

i just got it back from one. they replaced my interior harness that burned up for almost 1g. and they said 300 to find out whats wrong with that thing. i looked on alldata and there is a pgm-fi relay under the dash seperate from the fuse block. would that be it.

how do i test the pgm-fi relay?

Last edited:
update:
i dont know why i didnt realize this before. but when i turn the key to ign. i dont hear the fuel pump building pressure. that 3 second click or whatever noise it makes.
so its my fuel system. would it be my pump? which would explain the ecu, efi, fuse popping because the pump is using to much amps?

let me know what you think. i might be on to something.

no, your short is probably commin from the main relay. pre95 hondas had a BIG problem with the solder on the relay breaking appart causing shorts in the system. Pull the main relay (under the dash) and see what the board and solder points look like. If your fuel pump isnt coming on, thats most likely the problem.

yea i pulled the relay and opened it up and i just see the top solders on the circuit board. they all look good but there is brown coloring on the board. i cant get the board apart to see the other side. looks like a coil under it. should i just replace it? i was going to up my fuel system with aftermarket sooner or later.
but yea the relay also smells burned, my friend said (clorine for pools smell??)

thanks for responding also. i couldnt get responses anywhere

are you sure they look good man? use a magnifying glass and look around all of them, there should be NO cracks or anything like that in the solder.

i didnt think mine was screwed till i used a magnifying glass.. turned out all of them were effed up.

yeah, i guess lol.

hey, if your not gonna be needing your old relay, you think i could have it?
i doubt it'd fit into my honda, but it seems to be a common problem with hondas, so it'd be helpful to have one around, when someone else needs it or w/e.
i'll have to figure out if it works or not, but yeah.. lol

btw, this is nathan, if you couldnt tell by the sn lol

yea i know who this is. although you could have called me or something? ha. whatever. yea you can have it if the new one works. see ya 2morrow. well be getting that 89 hatch to run. i promise you

Back