Has anyone ever made up a traction control system?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

clanny

I've started thinking about doing my own. My car has alb braking system and I've been thinking that I can use the signals from the wheels to drive a traction control system. Any discrepancy between the front and back wheels will cause one or two (or more) spark plugs to be switched off for a set time to reduce engine power output until the traction comes back.

Using the ignition rather than the fuel will prevent the engine running lean at any point so should be safer.

I'll be playing with switching off teh spark every 4th cycle or so and seeing how it goes. This will be better I reckon than just stopping it completely and allow a quicker pickup when the power comes back.

Has anyone ever done this before or have any advice on how to go about it?

Your thoughts please?....

I believe AEM and some of the more advanced EMS's out there have a traction control option using the ABS sensors...

how would that work with loss of traction when youare accelerating? the brakes won't send any signal for wheel spin unless you are braking.

they are just wheel sensors... if you wire them up correctly, you can use them as a traction control SENSOR.

if you don't have a limited slip, you're going to have some issues...

but you still need to handel the input.

using the VSS isn't an option, because it only reads 4 pules per rotation... not really accurate at detecting slipage.

honeslty, i think the best way to do it, is to hook it up to a knock board... something that cuts ingition timing. it won't rev limit you, but it will cut power.. something like that.

lots of work.

just buy some freakin slicks. :p

Thanks for the replies guys. I do have LSD so that wouldn't be such a problem but if I have made up a comparitor circuit for the front/back comparison, it shouldn't be too hard to have it look at either front -> back or between the two fronts for a non-lsd application.

I should just be able to piggyback the signals from the inputs to the alb ecu in the boot so no problem there.

I guess that no-one out there has actually tried this, or is keeping quiet.

I'll keep you posted of how I get on.

Oh, and I like the idea of slicks but over here they are very expensive and I'll need a spare couple of wheels to put them on (it ain't cheap this car malarkey is it?) :mrgreen:

Back