Hatch Cover

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

92civicb18b1

The Trisexual
I just made myself a hatch cover, I got bored and needed something to do. So I went out to home depot and made one. Looks and fits good just the hinges are visible and I didn't finish the back of it. It actually looks kinda stock. FWIW its better because it's lighter and plenty strong, just the back of it is ugly right now. Cost me a whole $18 with extra to make another one.

no...i don't know those hatch covers on eg's.

?

the actual hatch??

i want one for my 96 hatch....but the oem part is ~150 dollars. write a writeup y0! i'm pretty interested in doing one, just not sure where to start.

gallery_28741_116_1095132023.jpg

gallery_28741_116_1095132006.jpg

gallery_28741_116_1095131989.jpg

gallery_28741_116_1095131972.jpg

I know the pictures are really really shitty, but that's the best I can do without the digicam. I used a webcam. I'll get better pics tommorow and with it in the car. This one isn't perfect, it could use a little trimming, but it looks decent and does what it's supposed to.

Write Up:
Materials and Tools:
Screw Driver
Hinges
2' x 4' x 1/4-1/2" Board
Saw
Carpet

Procedure:
Measure the distance between the inside of the hatch cover area (exactly where the cover will drop in). Measure the width. Cut the board to those specs. Place the board inside the car and outline for the area in which the cover will drop in the hatch, then cut it. Leave a couple mm's off the edges to compesate for the carpet. You also have to cut a small peice for the latch thingy in EG's, dunno about any others.
Or you can use cardboard and then trace it onto the board.

After the board fit's nicely into the hatch area, cut it in half, longways if you want it to be able to fold. In my case I cut it about 10 inches or so, so I have the little folding thing. Put the hinges on the top of the board (they're going to be removed, but it makes it much easier later). Remove the hinges.

Now to the carpet. If you are doing it the same exact way as me, then cut the carpet about 2 inches more than the area of the board. Staple it onto the board tightly. It's pretty simple, staple one side, then pull the other to make sure it is flat on the top. Put at least one staple in each of the shorter sides first, make sure it's tight though, this will make the longer side easier, do the curves last. Leave some space where the holes for the hinges are though, so you can poke a hole through the carpet through them. After you've poked the holes staple the rest and be sure it is nice, tight and flat on the top side. This is the same for both sides of the folding hatch. You can also cut the carpet so it covers the entire area of the board, back and front. This way you only have to have one peice of carpet. You can also glue the carpet down and remove the staples later for a better appearance.

Now, replace the hinges and fit it in there. Be sure everything fits correctly and your done.

See that was simple. :D

Here are some good pictures of the cover.

gallery_28741_116_1095173626.jpg

gallery_28741_116_1095173609.jpg

gallery_28741_116_1095173575.jpg

gallery_28741_116_1095173659.jpg

gallery_28741_116_1095173674.jpg

This is the one that needs a little bit of trimming to be perfect, that is why it is a little higher up on one side right now. Later today, I'll fix it and take pics of it inside the car.

Tell me what you think.

thats fucking sick man....mad props. it looks mad preety close to OEM.
Does this cover attach to the interior of the car in anyway or do you just drop it in?

Right now, it's just drop in. I have to go back to home depot to find the right size tube thing to make it lock.

Now, since it's so hot.

After everything is perfect, th back cover and locking device thing, who wants me to make them one. Hmm, $25+ shipping for HSer's. I'm about to start putting them on ebay to see how much it rakes in. I can make 'em too match your interior, if I can find the right carpet. Only if you guys for some reason can't make your own, of course.

For about $15 you can do it. $4 for the board (you can get even cheaper, but it's already cheap, get the halfway decent stuff), $3 for hinges, and $8 for carpet. I make it seem alot more simple than it really is, you have to get everything pretty close or you'll have too much sticking up like I did or a big gap or it just won't fit at all.

I wouldn't use cardboard. I'm thinking of making one out of fiberglass though. I'll go weigh it right now and tell you the weight.

gallery_28741_116_1095181998.jpg

This is what a stock EG cargo cover looks like. I think I might make the dip in the fiberglass one I'm going to make. The fiberglass one will cost more to make (cloth, resin and hardener isn't as cheap as wood) but maybe it will come out nicer. I can have it uncarpeted that way also and paint it to match the interior. I'd expect the fiberglass one without carpet to weigh no more than 2 lbs with carpet. Stock EG ones weigh I dunno 7 or 8 pounds.

looks good, but id charge 40 shipped. it IS your time also.

:thumbsup:

Back