HatchBack/Coupe Swap

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Dow.Tom

Okay I've been snooping around here for a little bit and became interested in the civic after hating them once F/F came out. I currently own a 1987 Toyota MR-2 5spd with a JDM 4age swap in it. Now I love the car, but it just doesnt have the zest i was looking for. So I'm selling it now and going to buy another project car.

I'm thinking of buying a 1988-1990 hatch/coupe civic. Is there anything wrong really with these years, problems ect? Once I buy it I will be swapping in a B18C from an GSR Integra. (Are there any known problems doing this swap in this car?) Once that's finished I'm looking to put a B16a/b top end for Vtec and some high end horses. (I know it has been done, but still, any issues with doing this?) How difficult would this be, I have done a swap before in my Mr2 and ran into alot of problems so I can diagnose alot of it. But wiring, how difficult would wiring be for this swap into a 88-90 hatch/coupe. (I'm currently looking into a 1990 Si, do they have Vtec already - would it make it easier to get a car with Vtec already for wiring purposes?) Thanks in advance, Tomas

Last edited:
Also what will I need to replace? Do i only need to replace Half safts, axels, ECU, and mounts? Anything im missing

b16a2

I am doing a swap into my 95 civic. I have a b16a2 with lsd tranny. does anybody have wiring diagrams for this ecu its a p30 ecu. can you chip a p30? which mounts do i need with this engine. I saw some pretty cheap but cool ways this weekend to improve your car. I saw a guy at the local performance shop and he had made his own look alike urathane motor mounts. it costs about 13 bucks take your motor mounts and you know the silicon stuff for window well you tape off one side of the motor mount and fill in all the holes with it smooth it to the finish you like and let dry in the sun for about three days. his engine rocked alittle at start up but he revved it up and the engine just sat still no movement at all. and another trick to cool down your engine bay. on your hood mounts put two 1/8 inch washers on each bolt. kinda lifts the hood but not noticeably it cools the engine down about 30 degrees in all areas. If you have any helpful hints on this engine swap let me know thanks.

Back