Hatchback Project need help

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

i might consider 2.25" exhaust if you are staying NA. and with a k-series, i would keep it all motor.

as for the spoon wheels, unless you are a name brand whore, just get some rotas. it's your call though.

im no name brand whore i just like the way they look if i can find a set of wheels that look the same and are cheaper then ill go for it. while im on the wheel subject what kind of tires should i run. and speaking on the n/a engine subject i might end up doing that. i was talken to a buddy at work today about the project and he advised me to steer clear of the turbo.:cool:

if you like spoon wheels, check out rota wheels. they are like knock offs. they are good and pretty cheap.

ROTA Wheels

you will be fine with a turbo if you build it right and have it tuned.

autox car?

idea sounds nice for autosalon here in australia but i dunno i say leave all the nice looking shit for a while and get the engine mods and suspension and shit done.

K series might be nice to see put in.....but depends if you go turbo and how its set up my friend did a k swap a while ago and turbo'd it....it ran well but he gave it up for an evo

well the sad part is i dont even have the car yet but i found one its a 93 Si with a butt load of miles and being that im swapping the motor and trans out anyway i only gotta worry about the other odds and ends. now one big problem is getting it. i have a ford contour now which i might trade in coz the car i found is being sold by a dealer. so ima call this guy tomarrow that it tells me to call and find some info about it and see if i can trade it in. i dont think i can being that i havent got my title yet for the contour. if im lucky one of my boys might be able to gimme a stack coz in the ad it says if i put a stack down i am garunteed a loan. so on my break tomarrow im going to call down there and see what i can do then im going to call my boy. and like i said before since i dont have the title he's going to loan me the $$$$$ until i get the title and then im going to sell him my contour. now my fall back if i cant do anything will be to save money and then buy any eg i can. now as far as my plans go for the car im going to strip everything down sell/junk stuff i dont need and save money for the k swap.(engine and trans) now here's where things get tricky because i have no place to work on my car so im going to have to rent a garage and store it there when i do the swap. so the way i calculated it between going to school and working and then working on my car its going to take some time before i can swap the motor. then after i swap the motor and trans ill just have to run it around a little and see what im going to do about the turbo but until i make that decision i will have to rinse and repeat(save and then add a mod)as far as the other mods go: full coil over suspension, cat back exhaust,headers, cold air intake and a whole bunch of other stuff. sorry for the big paragraph:huh: but hopefully you get the gist. as soon as i get more info and crap ill keep everyone posted. all i can say is wish me luck and pray i get the si tomarrow heheheehe:ph34r:

Last edited:
don't over pay because you are anxious to get started. thats how people get raped. just be patient and wait to have the cash available.

don't over pay because you are anxious to get started. thats how people get raped. just be patient and wait to have the cash available.

listen to him... i got raped because I was so anctious to get my hatch. I bought the thing at a dealer (overpaid), and found 6 months later that it was a flood car. The thing has been problems ever since ive had it.

listen to him... i got raped because I was so anctious to get my hatch. I bought the thing at a dealer (overpaid), and found 6 months later that it was a flood car. The thing has been problems ever since ive had it.
a lot of dealers get cars at auction, so they have a rebuilt title or have been stolen/wrecked. plus they sell them for about 4x what they pay. if you can get a car with a clean title at blue book for "private party" price, i would say go for it. other than that, they will bend you over.

yeah definetly wait it out hold onto your contour your going to need a beater while you fix this car up
one step at a time

hahaha yeah i hear ya that happend to me before i had a 99 eclipse gst and the bastard car didnt even last 2 months before the engine was a goner and the turbo went before anything else. but anyway i called the dealer this morning and the owner sounded like a dickhead, and when i asked about the 2 hatch's the si already had a down payment and the dx was still availible, but the dealer wanted 3 grand for the car and im not gonna pay 3 g's for a car that almost has 200k miles so im going to do as all of you advised and im going to wait maybe goto a few auctions and see what they got going on there. but last time i went to an auction most of the people had more cash then they had brains. so for now im going to browse around and hopefully i can find one from in florida that runs for a good price coz most older model cars from pa are rust buckets. im starting to get to a point where i just want a 92-95 civic dont care wether its a hatch or a coupe.

search around craigslist and honda-tech. there are a lot of good cars for sale. depending on how much you are willing to spend, i've seen b16 hatches go for 3000. you just have to shop around and know what you want.

I bought my hatch knowing I was going to swap it almost immediately, so i really wasn't looking for a DD out of the thing when I bought it. I wish that I had bought a rolling shell (car minus engine and tranny), or a car with a blown engine because they can be had for considerably less money.

I bought my hatch knowing I was going to swap it almost immediately, so i really wasn't looking for a DD out of the thing when I bought it. I wish that I had bought a rolling shell (car minus engine and tranny), or a car with a blown engine because they can be had for considerably less money.
thats true. i was going to suggest that but i wasn't sure about his swap capabilities. i would suggest a $1000 shell and a $500 d16z6. then a $1000 turbo down the road. perfect car.

well im really solid on what swap im doing. can any one tell me the diffrences between the coupe and hatch or atleast point me in that direction? now all i need to do is save up enough cash and purchase the car/rolling shell. the only problem with a rolling chassis is that i really have no way to transport it to where im at.

hatch = lighter (except si), dime a dozen (there are too many out there:D)
coupe =rides a little better b/c of longer wheel base, and its more rare to see a swapped coupe.

There is a plethora of information on this site covering each trim level.

nice thnx for the info im going to look at a couple hatch's on monday at this machanic's shop ill see how much he wants for them and the mileage maybe take em for a test drive if i like em. if i do like on of them ill probably pick one up. then ill have something to do and ill can show some pics and everything else. thnx again to everyone that's been helping me out :eek:

no problem.. good luck with your purchase!
get one as rust free as possible, it will save you ALOT of headach in the future.
check the rear wheel wells, the rocker panels (behind the plastic side skirts, and underneath the car.

Back