1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Have a few questions about a Pontiac Sunfire

Discussion in 'Other Vehicle Discussions' started by chestercheeto48, Sep 8, 2006.

1. chestercheeto48

chestercheeto48 Senior Member VIP

I have a few questions for any of you pontiac guys out there. I just got off the phone with the repair shop about my fiances car. It is a 98 pontiac sunfire that has around 140,xxx miles on it. It turns out that it needed quite a few things done to it to get it running again so we are fixing them in steps. Today it is getting a new valve cover seal, thermostat, and tune-up basically because I don't have the time with school starting. The mech told me that it also has a stored code for the crank sensor and the cam sensor basically due to the fact that it has been hard starting some times. My questions are these:

1) Would these two sensors be something that could easily be replaced if I had a manual for the car, some basic mech skills and some basic tools?

2) Does anyone have any good sites to order from or would it be just as easy to go to the local parts store and order these?

We are getting married in about a year so I would rather do the work myself if i could and save some cash as opposed to spending the roughly 1100.00 the shop wants to charge to fix everything that was initially wrong with the car.

thanks,

chester

2. ScrapinSi

ScrapinSi Senior Member

Go to your local parts store... the Cam sensor should be fairly easy... The crank sensor may be kinda difficult.. been awhile since i've worked on a J Body...

3. phyregod

phyregod !!YTINASNI

I feel sorry for you man.. sunfires are GARBAGE cars. My wife had a 99 sunfire when we got married. After a year I ditched that thing and bought her an Integra.. Been smooth sailing ever since.

4. chestercheeto48

chestercheeto48 Senior Member VIP

Yeah I agree that they are garbage but right now we both don't have a car payment and it has been pretty reliable for her. I think the plan is to run it into the ground then get something else. I am fine with dropping a couple hundred here or there to fix things that need it but I would rather do the work myself then pay a shop.

5. pissedoffsol

pissedoffsol RETIRED

jbody.org i think is the site? check them out... they can probably help you better than we can.

6. sweetmaureen

sweetmaureen New Member

sensor questions

the crank sensor and the cam sensor might be related meaning you might only need one of them.Get a second opinion. one sensor is located on top and the other is a little harder to get at. Auto zone can show you where they are located one i believe is about eight dollars n the other is about seventy dollars

7. phunky.buddha

phunky.buddha Admin with a big stick Admin VIP

Welcome to Hondaswap! I hope he's gotten it fixed by now... it's been 4 years.

8. sweetmaureen

sweetmaureen New Member

Sorry i haven't used this yet. The sensors could be related meaning you might only have to change one of them hopefully the cheaper one.The sensors relate to each other that is they communicate so if one is bad it shows up as both being bad. Replace the cheaper one first.I think it cost about 8 dollars while the other cost about 70.00 The cheaper one is located on top i think by the radiator in front auto zone can show you exactly where it is .B sure to check ur thermostat before you put it in its a tight squeeze to put it in.Good luck

9. phunky.buddha

phunky.buddha Admin with a big stick Admin VIP

No- I mean look at the post dates.

10. civicious

civicious FüK-VTEC VIP

No, they aren't related in that sense. If you have a bad camshaft position sensor, it will throw a code for that - if you have a bad crankshaft position sensor, it will throw a code for that. It sees different data from each sensor. The ECM will not throw a code for both because one of them is bad.

Where do you get your info, from a parts guy at AutoZone? lol

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted