have B16a into 97 EK

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

CronoMasamune

Ok, I'm planning on buying a b16a SIR I for my 97 DX Hatch, but I need to know EVERYTHING I need for the swap. I know this engine is ODB-1 and Im pretty sure my car is ODB-2, so is there an adapter of some sort? Also, what ECU and wire harness would i need? I know I need new motor mounts, does anybody know where i can get those for cheap? Do I need anything other than what I have asked about? Thanks in advance guys, really appreciate it.

you're screwed. a b16a sir I is obd0.

it'll be cheaper to buy a b16a2.

im about to type up everything youre gonna need, and how to do it, so sitcha ass down and wait.

ooookay, if you plan on going the hard route and putting an obd0 B16A in an ek (96-98) civic, theres a lot of crap you're gonna need to make it work.

first, you're gonna need the motor (duh). go ahead and get a bare longblock, you're gonna replace everything else anyways. you're gonna need to buy an obd2 intake manifold, throttle body, injectors, distributor, alternator, header from a 99-00 si (unless you've got an aftermarket one)and you should go ahead and get an obd2 transmission (i used an LS, but they suck so try not to get one). you CAN use your stock wiring harness, but you'll have to add vtec, knock sensor, and vtec oil psi switch wires, as well as re-wire your IACV. your best bet here is to get a 96-98 EX vtec harness. also, you're gonna need to get either an obd1 vtec ecu (p28, p30) or an obd2b Si ecu (p2t). a p30 would probably be best, since obd2 sucks. depending on what ecu you're gonna use, you'll have to get a jumper that converts from your car (obd2a) to the ecu (obd1 or obd2b). you'll also want to get a new clutch (Exedy rules), and I went ahead and got an ITR flywheel from ebay.

mount-wise, you'll use your stock driver's side and passenger side mounts, and you're gonna have to get a B-series rear tranny mount. I just got the wishbone mount (that bolts onto the tranny) with my transmission. I used a grinder to make my stock urethane mount narrower (the LS mount is narrower than the stock d-series mount), but you can just get the urethane mount from an integra or an si and it should work. I had to flip the rear urethane mount around, too, for the motor to fit right, and was only able to bolt 2 bolts in, and youll probably have to do the same. for your axles/IM shaft just get them from a 99-00 Si. shift linkage wise you'll need to pull it from whatever car you got the tranny from.

now, as far as putting everything together it shold be pretty easy. put everything on the motor BEFORE you put it in the car. it's a bitch getting to everything to plug up the harness. everything should plug in, you MIGHT have to extend some wires. make sure to use new gaskets, a Hondata IM gasket is an awesome thing to use here.

MAKE SURE NOT TO PUT YOUR CLUTCH IN BACKWARDS

now that you've got your IM, dizzy, alternator, tranny and what all else on the motor, drop it in. it should fit right in. always bolt the back mount first. then, get under there and connect the shift linkage and put on the axles. then, put the wheels back on, go pump the hell outta the brakes and the clutch to get pressure back, and check your fluids (trans., engine oil, coolant). then run your harness back through the firewall, plug the green plug to the dash harness, plug in your jumper, and plug in the ecu (you DID get obd1, didn't you???). now connect the battery cable, and you SHOULD have a working swap.

if for some unknown reason youre using an obd2 si ecu, youre gonna throw a code for the crank angle sensor. obd0/1 motors didnt have these. disregard it.

let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks a bunch man, sounds pretty expensive. I think I'm gonna go for the B16a2 now. They usually come with ecu, wire harness, and tranny. Anything else I'd need for this swap? Sorry for all the questions but I dont wanna get screwed getting the wrong stuff.

too bad you cant use a 99-00 harness on a 96-98.

honestly, you should go ahead and get the obd0 and do like i did. you'd pay around 3k for a complete b16a2 swap, and you would still need a wiring harness and ecu, which would be somewhere around 5-600 more.

b16a's are hella cheap, adn they're jdm too.

Well on Hmotorsonline.com I can get b16a2 Full swap for like 2200. That includes all of the following...

- Motor
- Hydraulic Tranny (S21, Y21)
- ECU (P30)
- Axles with Half Shaft
- Shift Linkage
- Stock Motor Mounts
- Alternator
- Starter
- Clutch
- Flywheel
- Intake Manifold
- Exhaust Manifold
- Fuel Rail
- Injectors
- Distributor
- Engine Harness
- Comes With All Sensors Needed

EDIT: Okay just looked around, apparently there are OBD1 b16a2s and OBD2 b16a2s? Would I be able to drop in an a2 with OBD1 into my OBD2 with a OBD2-OBD1 adapter, or would i need more than just this?

Okay, I just checked out all of that stuff you listed, most of it is from ebay, the block I can get from hmo.com. Does all this look about right? If I have something wrong, please let me know.

b16a block: $599
dc sports headers 99si $235
intake manifold $165
00si throttle body $50
99-00si injectors $30
gsr tranny $560
ex wire harness $76
p2t ecu $75
96-00 civic alternator $179
96-00 si distributor $80
ACT GSR/SI clutch $125

Total:$2174

1. you still need a head

2. youre gonna need gaskets

3. gsr tranny for $560? WHERE?

4. dont get a p2t, it wont plug into a 96-98 harness. and dont get a 99-00 harness, it wont plug into a 96-98 car. get a jumper and an obd1 ecu.

5. big fat crap on ACT. exedy rules.

and dont forget your back mount.

oh yeah, crap on a/c and p/s too. im not sure how you'd do it, but it's gonna be a bitch to hook it up. look at it this way: you drive a 2k lb honda, you dont need powersteering. and as long as your windows work, you don't need a/c.

99-00 Si tranny, 93-95 del sol vtec tranny (only the del sol vtec...with the b16a3), integra ls transmission

Say I got a USDM SIR II, which come only with OBD2. The one I found comes with motor, intake and exhaust manifolds, uncut wire harness, and a hydrolic tranny, which all came out of 99 Civic SI. What else would I need besides mounts?

edit oh yea it comes with axles too

um....

dont think thats an sirII....that'd be a b16a2....

we dont have sir's in the us.

and like i said earlier, you're still gonna need a wiring harness and an ecu. you cant use a 99-00 wiring harness in a 96-98 car.

read the above posts. no matter what, you're gonna need an EX vtec harness from a 96-98, a jumper, and either an obd2b si ecu, or an obd1 ecu.

Damn you Will stop trying to fuck the guys car up :lol: j/k

Hey bud go ahead and get the obd2 from hmo. Ask for the 99 to 00. You will have everything working for around 3 grand with axles and all. You won't have to take everything off and buy obd2 parts to replace them. Theres a reason no one in there right mind does this except Will because its a pain in the ass.

thats why your taillight's broke, beeyotch

:blink:

he's still gonna need a 96-98 harness and ecu. 99-00 harnesses won't work in a 96-98. thats why my POS still aint running.

monday, mothafucka! monday!

scince your car is an obd2 you could just use the 99 usdm/jdm civic SI motor it's an obd2 dohc vtec motor, your best bet for motor mounts linkage and axles would be either HCP ( www.hcpengineering.com ) or HASport, ( www.hasport.com ) hasport tends to be pretty expensive compared to hcp but in my opinion both are good mounts axles and shift linkages.... as far as ecu goes, i'm not sure but i think you could use an obd2 GSR ecu you can get those for cheap and gain a little power out of it, if you want to go with this motor swap i have an ob2 gsr ecu if you want it....

you're still gonna need to use your stock harness.

and yeah, you can use an obd2a gsr ecu, but only a 96-98.

the 99-00 was obd2b, and the 99-00 harness won't plug into your 96-98 car.

ok i just looked into it and an obd2 gsr ecu will plug up and work with the obd2 99 si motor should increase power by a few hp

Originally posted by b18c5rx@Dec 20 2003, 12:36 PM
ok i just looked into it and an obd2 gsr ecu will plug up and work with the obd2 99 si motor should increase power by a few hp

should make the engine run slightly richer (less power)
should throw a code cuz your missing the secondaries (probly go into limp mode... no power)

bad idea :thumbsdown:

Back