Have you ever built

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

One Stop Customs

I was wondering if any one of you guys/gals have ever built a car for NASA or SCCA? I was thinking of doing a honda for either or org. Go figure, I love having high horsepower "illegal" cars but I don't want to get a ticket bc the job I want to get needs a 100% clean drivers license...

A car for Autocross (SCCA Solo II is what you want ? ) is pretty easy. Then, for competition at a reasonable level, you can check out the GRM (Grassroots Motor Sports) $2005 challenge. Then, building a car for the track is pretty easy - As long as you follow a plan with where you want it to take you.

A clapped out, budget race car can run you about $8000 before it's even placed on the leaderboard.

-> Steve

i has some acquaintances do it...

http://www.teamtoilet.com
http://www.teamtoilet.com/raceteam.htm
and my favorite:
http://www.teamtoilet.com/mike/mike04.htm

DSCN1230.jpg

he bought the car brand new.. and with like 11 miles on it ripped out the interior and took it to a road course. runs into shit all the time.. the life i want lol

As someine who has built 3 nationially competitive SCCA GT3 class cars(2 Mazda RX-3s and an RX-7 tube chassis), I can tell you this: buy a car that is already finished! It is about 1/2 the cost of you find a car that is or near completeted. There are so many details you need to think of and if it is your first race car, you will learn the hard and expensive way.

Engine:
Spoon balanced B18C
Spoon 4-2 header
Spoon plug wires
Spoon oil cap, radiator cap, thermostat, thermoswitch
Spoon grounding kit
Spoon lightweight battery
Spoon engine mounts
Spoon full titanium race exhaust
Spoon ECU
Spoon air filter
Spoon race spark plugs
Spoon radiator hose set
Spoon aluminum oil catch can
Spoon 55mm aluminum radiator with radiator brackets

DAMN $$$$$$$$$

THAT TOILET website seems pretty funny, those guys have some $$$$$

Originally posted by reckedracing@Feb 11 2005, 02:58 PM
Engine:
Spoon balanced B18C
Spoon 4-2 header
Spoon plug wires
Spoon oil cap, radiator cap, thermostat, thermoswitch
Spoon grounding kit
Spoon lightweight battery
Spoon engine mounts
Spoon full titanium race exhaust
Spoon ECU
Spoon air filter
Spoon race spark plugs
Spoon radiator hose set
Spoon aluminum oil catch can
Spoon 55mm aluminum radiator with radiator brackets

DAMN $$$$$$$$$

THAT TOILET website seems pretty funny, those guys have some $$$$$
[post=459628]Quoted post[/post]​

Ya its hilarious how they probably have $20k in parts there that do just about nothing to make the car faster/more reliable in a race.

Originally posted by nfn15037@Feb 11 2005, 12:13 PM
As someine who has built 3 nationially competitive SCCA GT3 class cars(2 Mazda RX-3s and an RX-7 tube chassis), I can tell you this: buy a car that is already finished! It is about 1/2 the cost of you find a car that is or near completeted. There are so many details you need to think of and if it is your first race car, you will learn the hard and expensive way.
[post=459616]Quoted post[/post]​

well the thing is that next year if I get half of the $$$ I am buying my CNC machine, so since I already manufacture coil springs, I want to get into the import scene, so basically parts of the car will be made by me, however, engine and stuff like that will be taken to a professional... What i want to get into is the one where you can race a 92 honda civic... not sure what class that is, but yep, that's the one I want... Once I get into building the honda, I will stop competing in the lowrider scene for a bit...

Originally posted by One Stop Customs@Feb 11 2005, 05:16 PM
What i want to get into is the one where you can race a 92 honda civic... not sure what class that is, but yep, that's the one I want...
[post=459754]Quoted post[/post]​

I'm pretty sure that just about any class will let you race a 92 Civic- the way you prepare the car determines what class you compete in.

Ya I agree, you need to decide what you want to do with the car first. Do you want to go SCCA IT racing? Rally? Honda-Challenge? All of these classes and sanctioning bodies have rules which the car needs to adhere too. I would suggest talking to some local racers and going from there. Find out what class you want, how much it will cost to prep and more importantly run the car for a season. Racing is not an endeavour for the light of wallet or faint of heart. There is an old saying that goes: Want to make a million bucks racing cars? Start with 10 million. This is really such a broad topic it cannot be sumed up in a post on a board. Go talk to some people, find a general direction then start asking specific questions. Good luck!

well, I was reading the honda challenge, that one seems super cool... imma build one for the h1 class... that should be fun...

Shit, depending on the price, I might just go with a b18 or K swap a 92 hatch next year... damn lowrider will bring me the money for the engine lol...

sorry for making such a broad question... :)

H1
a) Minimum Weights

D series (single cam) = 1950lbs
B16 series = 2100lbs
B18, B20, and others not listed = 2200lbs
K & H series = 2350lbs
F series (2.0 liter) = 2650lbs
F series (2.2 liter) = 2750lbs

a Spoon battery ?
Spoon "Titanium" pipes ?
Spoon oil cap ?

He's not rich, he's stupid :)

-> Steve

Originally posted by One Stop Customs@Feb 11 2005, 09:24 PM
well, I was reading the honda challenge, that one seems super cool... imma build one for the h1 class... that should be fun...

Shit, depending on the price, I might just go with a b18 or K swap a 92 hatch next year... damn lowrider will bring me the money for the engine lol...

sorry for making such a broad question... :)

H1
a) Minimum Weights

D series (single cam) = 1950lbs
B16 series = 2100lbs
B18, B20, and others not listed = 2200lbs
K & H series = 2350lbs
F series (2.0 liter) = 2650lbs
F series (2.2 liter) = 2750lbs
[post=459841]Quoted post[/post]​

The F22 isn't 800 pounds heavier than a D. And the F20 isn't 100 pounds lighter than the 22. I can't speak for the K and H, but 800 pounds is the difference of adding a Harley's worth of steel.

i think hes talking about the minimum weight of the car with that specific engine. but thats dumb on the part of the f series. your car has to be so much heavier with an engine thats so much less powerful, lol

:werd:

Those should be the class minimum weights determined by engine type.... but I agree- with those rules, nobody would want to run an F block- at least not the USDM F22s.

Imma start saving up some money on the side for either a b18 or K-swap... either or engine... Shit, my big sis was going to buy me the 3 car trailor, imma tell her to help me get a swap hahaha

but yes, those are the engines that determine the weight of the vehicle...

Back