Having a few problems with my system

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

trappd-in-859

I just recently installed 2 10" subs and a 2-way amp into my car. The problem is, sometimes they work and sometimes they don't. I am thinking it's the amp because when I tried using another pair of speakers I had the same problem.

I have double checked all the connections and they are very secure and everything is properly grounded.

This is a brand new system and it came as a combo so I know it is the right amp to use for the subs and vise versa.

What I need to know is if I need a new amp or not? Its not exactly top of the line(got the amp and subs from pepboys as an early christmas gift) but there shouldnt be this kind of problem this early in the systems life.

TIA for all help.

first things first check your underhood fuse, it may look good but inspect it carefully it could be blown and that is what is makin it cut in and out. if that doesnt work i would definatly make sure the ground is on a bare metal good spot. if all this checks out bring the amp back and have it replaced.

The underhood fuse is not broken, just checked it. Could it be that the remote wire came loose at some point in time? Could that be causing this problem?

When I first installed it, it worked perfectly. No distortion, no missed beats, no nothing. After about an hour or so is when the problems started to happen.

I wont be able to take the amp back because it was bought on sale.

Im using 14 gauge speaker wire so I dont know if I would need to upgrade to like 10 gauge or something.

I think the amp is like 400w max.

Wire shouldnt be a problem, im substituing my 16 gauge speaker wire to run 800-1000W to my sub.

That is until I get offline and install my new 30 band EQ and 4-channel today.

Got a new problem, lol. My front speakers cut out but my subs still work. Then my subs stopped working and my front speakers work now.

Found the solution to the previous problem. The outputs werent connected to the back of the head unit.

I guess Ill have to pull the deck again to find out if there are any loose wires :mad: .

Is there any indicator lights on it to tell you if the amp is shutting off or not? Or a protection light?

I think its your headunit....could be that your headunit is getting ready to go or your connection TO the headunit are shitty...actually SOLDER them together...that helps alot!

The wires that connected the subs to the amp were backwards. I switched them around and now both subs work perfectly.

I fixed the problem with the subs and speakers cutting out. Just pushed the headunit up and havent had a problem since.

Back