having computer trouble

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Dustin_m

i got a question about my old computer. It wont boot up, and when i turn it on it makes a beeping noise. nothing comes in the monitor.

the first time i had trouble with it, it had stopped reading my HD, so i turned it off and started using my GF's computer. then when i put another HD in it, it started making the beeping noise. It is an AMD 1800, 256mb, built from a computer shop

Find your motherboard manual (or google for it) and decode the beeping. Different patterns mean different things.

Check to see if you knocked anything loose during the hard drive swap (memory, video card, etc). Reseat it all anyway to be safe. Also check your hard drive jumpers on the new drive... Some motherboards will flip out if the jumper settings dont match the cable position.

is it worth replacing the motherboard for a 2 year old computer? or just save and buy a new one. It would be cool to have this one because it actually ran pretty good, and i want top go all out on my next one i buy. the thing is, if its the motherboard, then this will be the second one its went through in about a year.

if you are getting a replacement motherboard then i would think get the same one as you had so you can use all your old stuff...

i think you can buy the motherboard without the processor...

i've used both high end AMD and Intel, i honestly have no preference, but AMD is cheaper..

hit me a PM if your interested in buying a basic line P3 i have two, one dual P3 and one P1

my deal with this is you may not have one memory stick inserted completely, or it coule be the wrong type of memory. if its DDR, you have to buy in pairs.

If i go to a P3 or something, what would i need to do?

Oh yeah, and with DDR you need to buy in pairs. In the new HP there is just one 256 in there and its DDR

Only for Dual-Channel functionality. If you don't turn on dual channel, you can use whatever you want. It's RDRAM that you have to buy in pairs.

Back