having monitor issues

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

micah

ok so, my 21" monitor bit the farm....

im using a hand me down 15" that my dad had laying around until i get a new lcd. '

when i first hooked it up, the whole screen was black and had a blue error message that said out of scan range. my pc was set at 1280 x 1024 so i figured that was just too high for this little monitor.
hooked my pc up to the tv with s-video and changed resolution to 1024 x 768 and it now works on the little monitor.

the problem is, about once a week or so, whenever my pc boots up ill get the out of scan range error again and have to drag my tv to my pc room to fix it. i DONT change my settings at all, for some reason the pc just boots up to a dif setting.

well this has only been happening on boot up until yesterday. while my wife was in the middle of browsing the net the screen flashed and went black. she turned off the monitor and turned it back on and got the scan range error.

i have NO idea as to why the pc is trying to revert back to a dif resolution, not even very sure that thats exactly whats happening.
im honestly stumped, no scenario i can think of matches whats happening. i have it set to alert me before any graphic setting changes so it shouldnt be trying it on its own. i have all auto updates and everything canceled, virus scan comers up clean and spyware scan comes up clean from multiple sources.

any ideas?

I'm guessing the 1024x768 resolution is possibly right on the verge of being out of range. Try setting it to 800x600, and see if that helps.

800x600 works, but i CAN NOT use 800x600. no way i could stand it.

whats weird is when it does change and i get the error... when i hook up to the tv and load windows it is set at 800x600

i dont know if for some reason the pc is trying to change itself to 800x600

think maybe its the refresh rate? its at like 60 or something retarded low right now.

yeah defeinately refresh rates. make sure you're within spec of the monitors verticial and horizitonal syncs too.

the video card is probably running the monitor at higher specs then it can handle.

Back