HDTV shopping, part 2

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

posol

RETIRED
well, as you all know, my dell plasma was a piece of shit and kept breaking, so i returned it.

moving back to a 20" fucking sucks.

i need another new tv. lol

once the del sol is sold, i'll be purchasing another HDTV of some sort.

i think i want to go with sony, as that is what my dvd player is, and i can be sure the hdmi channel on both is compatible.
supposedly, that is why my dell fried twice-- the hdmi signal from my dvd player coulndn't be read properly by the dell tv. i would hope that sony would work with a sony.

i was just browsing online...
http://stores.ebay.com/Gear-4-Less

this guy has a bunch of stuff for great prices. i've bought from him before.... i got my inifinity 5.1 speaker system from him for a damn good deal-- nearly half of what crutchfield sells them for.

i'm pretty sure hes a drop-shipper...

but, i have my doubts about shipping a tv through fed-ex, etc through ebay...
at least with dell, i had an 800 number to call, and it was deleivered by a professional shipping company that deals with larger items and home installs...

so, what do you all think?

i had the 42" plasma. it looked awesome on hdmi 1028i. loved the picture.
i don't think i would be happy with an lcd... too dark?
dlp?

space is def an issue.. my room isn't that big. the 42" 16x9 was perfect for my area...
i think 55 would be as big as i would ever want to go, and even then, im going to have to do some moving around of my system.... as it will fill my whole table.

i'm looking to spend about the same... ~$3000

thoughts? suggestions?

to bad space is an issue, the sony 70" :drool:
my buddy just bought a 42" its nice
I would go with a sony
Pioneer & LG makes a good plasma also

dlp tv are nice just not a bright as lcd and cost a lot less, and does have the screen door effect that the lcds have.
plus you only have one bulb to replace

does that help any

i am reading on locs right now might look into that also

Well, i did some reading... and browsing, and drooling...

and i think im going to jump on a DLP LCD rear projection from sony from the gear4less guy.

i'm thinking about one of these:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...item=5771833240
or
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...item=5773413319

he also offers a 5-year warranty plan with in-home service from a 3rd party service

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...item=5730093383

in the end, it will be a hair over 3k, which is in my budget, and i will be getting a longer warranty, and still get the in-home service...

thoughts?

:thumbsup: nice looking tv's and not a bad price. I would do it

or you could wait a little longer and get an ultra-thin hdtv crt monitor.
samsung should be selling them soon.

B go with the Pioneer we have the brand new Sony HD at my work and it's so pixelated it looks like shit. What's 1028i? I think you mean 1080 or 720p, which is what HD TV is broadcasted at. I think thats what you are talking about. It just means how many visible lines of video the eye can see. Normal TV here in the states is 525 but in Europe it is 625 those bastards. Then you move into HD and it either goes 720 or 1080. I work at a Post Production studio so if you have any questions let me know.

i = interlaced
p = progressive

i HATE pioneer. i will never own one of their products. they ficking blow.

normal tv is not 525.

DVD quality is 480p.

you obviously don't know much about tv;s. :) thanks anyway

We're looking at buying land :)

I'd go with the LCD however, I don't like how the Plasma TV's have a "shelf-life" and the fact that most have a life counter. For some reason it just defeats the purpose of purchasing an expensive item as that. Also, I have heard horror stories in regards to how the brightness fades rapidly after a year or two. With LCD, this shoudn't be a problem whatsoever. And for the price of each, you can't go wrong with LCD...

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@May 9 2005, 10:07 PM
i = interlaced
p = progressive

i HATE pioneer. i will never own one of their products. they ficking blow.

normal tv is not 525.

DVD quality is 480p.

you obviously don't know much about tv;s. :) thanks anyway
[post=497260]Quoted post[/post]​

Well I know there is no such thing as 1028, you mean 1080 yes I means interlaced and P means Progressive scan which is how they scan it from the film to a digital intermediate.
Look up NTSC and PAL on google and tell me how many visible lines they have.
Then you can look up NDFTC or DFTC for NTSC and EBUTC for PAL which are the time codes that the video goes by. Oh NDFTC means Non Drop Frame Time Code and DFTC means Drop Frame Time Code. I may not know much about TVs but I know alot about video in general. If you want you can look up to see what the video signal is rated at and then look at what the signal of WHITE is rated at.

i just don't see how any of that has anything to do with buying a tv? pal? who cares... i don't live in london...

anyway, a progressive scan DVD player outputs at 480p... just about anything over that is going to look incredible.

480p is going to look great B, and yes anything over that will just look better so yes I agree. I just went off sorry about that.

i may just pick up a 36" tube tv and call it a day...

i'm kinda getting ahead of myself lately in the finance department... :(

no thanks.. i'm still going to get a 16:9 version... widescreen owns :)

Back