head gasket or not?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

twerker08

The other day I noticed some oil down by the head gasket I thought it was from me pulling the dip stick out and some oil flung off, but no such luck.It is there again today.I called my friend and he said the oil passage hole in the head gasket could be gone I recently changed my oil to synthetic and i was wondering if it could be from the synthetic when it heats up it gets really thin.My tempature gauge never goes past half,is this alright or should it be replaced my car is stored anywhy so i am not driving it now. by the way it is a 93 civic with a integra motor ;)

It could just be the valve cover gasket. If the valve lash was ever adjusted, and the old gasket was just put back on, you'll have some oil dripping down into that area around the head gasket. Not some thing to be too worried about. If it was a head gasket problem, you'd be spewing black smoke out the tail pipe, or you'd be putting a crapload of oil in it all the time.

if it was the head gasket you'd have oil in the coolant abd vice cersa and you'd have lots of white smoking comming out the exhaust

I thought it was black smoke for oil, and white smoke for coolant... oh well, at least I was mostly right.

Back