1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Head gasket question from OLD gearhead

Discussion in 'Engine Building' started by sdj02, Mar 5, 2009.

1. sdj02

sdj02 New Member

Ok. I am helping my son build a D16Z6 for use with a turbo. He bought this motor all machined and ready to build. The pistons say 0.50 on top of them. I am assuming this is 0.50 over bore, but I am an old Chevy race motor builder and new to the import sport. He has been told he has to buy a $150 head gasket for the bigger pistons. We never had to buy a different head gasket back in the old days. Is this true or is someone just telling him this because it is their opinion? I want to build this thing right, but I don't want to spend money where we don't have to either. I know the block has been bored, and decked. Any help would be appreciated. I am an old guy trying to help my young import loving son. :) Thanks for any info.
  2. boostin4fun

boostin4fun Boosted ls/vtec ohh yeah!

The pistons are probably .20 over making them a .5mm oversized. I have used factory sized headgaskets with .20 over blocks many times with zero problems. My advice is to get a oem headgasket from honda they are very tough. But if it really bothers you, you can get a headgasket from Cometic that is opened up a little more. But like I said it really isnt necessary.
Draft saved Draft deleted