Head gasket ? yes no?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

SleEPeR_CRX

hey boys, well i got a problem a friend of mine thought it might be worth it to do. Ok heres the story
Back when i 1st swapped in my b18a, i had a problem with rad hoses, which lead to 2 bad overheatings, like needle was 3/4 of the way up. anyway, 1 of those times, i found a kink in the hose. the problem was is that it looked like water, was spilling out of where the block meets the head. My guess was that the water boiled in the engine, and had to get out somewhere so it blew out the head gasket.

I was wondering #1 is this possible? and i should get it replaced asap. Or sound stupid and my head gasket is probably fine. Right now im having ALOT of oil loss, like 1/4 quart a week, but no blue smoke, and slim to no water loss.

If the answer is yes what kinda head gasket should i get? slimmer for better compression? or just normal crap. im looking into a small 35 shot, like the kid said in members only, so if that helps.
Thanks

You may have warped the head when you overheated the engine, which would lead to coolant and oil loss... maybe your head needs new valve stem seals- who knows. Start by checking all your hoses just to be safe, then perform a leakdown and compression tests to see if you can diagnose where you're leaking from. Start from those basic tests... if those don't show anything, then you can move on to taking things apart and poking around.

:)

One giveaway... what is the color of your coolant? Green = good, milky brown = bad.

well, i use water b/c u cant use coolant on the track, and i dont drive my car in winter so i dont need any. so its clear, like water:)
also, wouldnt the colour of my water change? and be more noticable to change, i didnt notice any change in the driving of my car since the overheating, just more oil loss. also, i blew blew 3 hoses after i put the engine in, both rad hoses, and a hose from IM to block, also for water, so all my water carrying hoses are brand new so i know they arent the problem.

Water would change color too. Brown = oil in coolant.

Since your water is clear, you probably have an ok head gasket. Blown head gaskets = white smoke in exhaust and brown coolant.

I would perform a leakdown test and a compression test so you can find out where your problem is. I would guess that your rings are either dead or your valve stem seals need replacing...

standard coolant will do, use 1/2 and 1/2 mixture of coolant and agua. Like Calesta said, check your compression, gaskets, all liquids in the motor.

Milan

well, like the boss said before i think you do have a warped head i had the same prob in my vr4 when they checked it they found out the that head was warped in one side i dont know how that happend but they shaved the head and it was fix

Back