Head gasket

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

93civicracer

Oh, I do a little here and there.
Alright, as a lot of you probably know, the head gasket went out on my d15b vtec.

So now I'm thinking, since I gotta replace the head gasket anyway, should I go ahead and buy ARP headstuds and a Cometic gasket?

My reason for the ARP headstuds is because I'm planning on buying a nitrous oxide wet kit (adjustable, but planning on mostly using the 50 shot, and sometimes the 75 shot), if I could ever save up for it without some other problem coming up.

And I want the Cometic gasket because well, they're the best, right? Anybody have any input on these things?

Also, does anybody know for sure whether or not I can use ARP headstuds and Cometic gaskets made for a Z6 on my D15B Vtec? I'm pretty sure I can use the gasket but not so sure on the head studs.

im not sure about if you can use the gasket ect but as far as i know Evry D is basically the same minus a few little things here and there gasket should idk bout headstuds.

hope im right and dont get burned wait for more replys lol

Yea, I'm pretty sure I can use the headgasket. It's the ARP studs I'm worried about.

Anybody?

I'd rather use an OEM Honda gasket and not drive like an idiot anymore.

But I DO have nitrous plans for the future, and I'm not so sure how well an oem gasket could hold up with a nitrous boost if it didn't last through a little stock torture :). I don't really have the money for these quality parts so I'll probably have to get an OEM gasket anyway. Thanks for the input.

Alright..I really need some help now.

Everywhere I look online for a head gasket, it says something about Honda service Bulletin 97-047 about head gasket leakage, and says I need a special gasket combined with special head bolts only IF I'm changing it due to a leak, which I am. Problem is, everywhere I look the part numbers don't match up. It says use these bolts with this gasket, then another site says no use these bolts with this gasket..and none of them carry both nor can I find them anywhere the numbers aren't matching up.

Does this bulletin include MY engine since it's JDM?

Should I go ahead and buy oem and risk it leaking again?

Should I just wait til Wednesday when I get paid and buy ARP studs and Cometic gasket?

What would you do?

Either way I'll have to wait until I can get a day off before I can even look at it....all the cooks quit on me again so I've been another 2 weeks without a day off so far, along with school in the morning I have absolutely no time. Of course if I had a garage I'd just stay up late and take off the head so I could at least get a look.

Last edited:
Thanks, I gotta go to work in 5 minutes so I'll give them a call right after school first thing tomorrow.

Got paid today, ordered an oem head gasket along with a set of ARP head studs!

But I got another question..could overtorquing a valvecover bolt do any damage? Because now that I think about it I DID overtorque the upper-right valve cover bolt and it turns pretty much freely, I did this when I was checking timing a while back.

Does anyone know where I can buy a set of valve cover bolts? I've looked everywhere tried "Honda Civic valve cover bolts" can't find a set anywhere.

as dumb as this will sound ebay has set of pollished ones most of the time for like $10. They look decent plus if you want your engine bay to look good it helps clean it up a bit. But I broke a valve cover bolt on my y7. I didn't know it was broken and it leaked oil badly but only when the car was being driven and I never smelled burning oil, next thing you know I fried the rings, and needed to swap my motor. So if I were you I would check to see if it broke off in the head, and if it did I would get it out quick helacoil the threads and buy new bolts.

Well shit that sucks I've been driving it like that for some time now. I'll see if another valve cover bolt will screw in alright. If not then I'll probably just try to find a Z6 head for my d15b block.

true checking your oil could help. lol but I would stick with your head if at all possible. I think the d15b is the most powerful d-series motor. So you have a good setup in terms of us d-series guys. But I may be wrong, the z6 head is said to flow pretty well, and that might bump up the compression a bit.

You could always, oh I don't know, check your oil level on a regular basis?

If the valve cover bolt hole is stripped, pull the rocker arms off and take them to a machine shop to have the problem fixed.

Thanks, I just remembered I let a coworker borrow my $65 Walmart tool set the only one I've got, so he could check out his 280zx that I messed up...

More rep to you Blanco!

Back