Head gasket

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

UDT

Ok i have what i am 90% sure is a blow head gasket on this ZC in my hatch. If i go to replace it, will i have to resurface the head and the block or just the head, and is it posible i dont need to do either? Or is it always gonna need it if yo ublow a head gasket. I and trying to decide if i should replace the thing or not but i dont even wanna tear th head off till i decide based on what all it might cost.

unless the motor was overheated after popping the headgasket it should not need to be resurfaced...

just make sure you clean it really really well before installing the new gasket

and while you have it apart get new valve seals and relap the valves... just for a little reassurance for the engine, and its cheap to do yourself :)

THE ACTUAL valves need not be removed, but its the same process minus actually taking the valve out, lol

take off the retainers and springs, then pop off the seal and slide a new one on... it would be easier if you just slid the valves out

and do you know what lapping is?

No, whats lapping? Also is ther a recomended no OEM head gasket? At auto zone thye have like three different one all within a 20-30 doller price range. I was just gonna go for the fel-pro. I just wanna get this thing runnin its not gonna be the main power plant. Im hoping to sell it to one of the homes or sometin onces it running. let them beat on it and blow it.

if you're offing the motor just get the fel-pro gasket

lapping = spinning the valve with a lapping compound on the valve seat...

it just regrinds it to an extent to make sure it seals well...

you just need compound and a lapping tool, which = a stick with suction cups...
like 10 bucks at auto zone, maybe 15?

really just takes time and patience...
good to do in your living room after work while watching tv

If by chance theres a bent valve i will be able to tell once i get the head off correct? I mean if this is the case it will be very apparent

Back