Head Gasket

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

NorCalAl

I have a '95 Civic with the 1.5-16v engine. I just replaced the water pump/timing belt (had fun with crankshaft pulley bolt!). I've had a major loss of power and overheating/coolant loss issues for the last couple of weeks. I know for a fact the water pump was leaking, hence the coolant loss, but today when I took the valve cover off I discovered water in the oil. I read a great write up with pics on how to do my head gasket but mainly wanted to ask if I need to take the distributor off of the head in order to remove the head from the block. First post here.... long time reader. Any help is appreciated.

No but it makes it a little easier i think. I've always taken them off. take a marker and make a line on the dizzy and the head so you don't have to mess with that when you put it back on.

Thanks for the tip. I ended up having to take it off to get to some kind of sensor that was in the head underneath of the distributor housing. Now to figure out how to best clean the gunk off of the head.....

NorCalAl,

Can you point me to the writeup you were talking about ? My HX died a couple weeks ago after blowing what looked like steam out the pipe...it was dark, and I was looking in the mirror, so I'm not 100% what was coming out, but I found oil in the coolant reservoir, so I've got the feeling that I need a new head gasket.

Thanks

Back