head probs??

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

is there a proper way to tell if my water pump is bad when i take it off? i dont wanna spend money on it that i dont need too.. its a stupid question but jus wan second opinion.. i not used to water pumps on these cars but on say like a 302 i know bout all them lol..

as to the fans change the fan switch. they should be changed every coolant service or 60000 miles in my opinion. some car require coolant services every 30000 but i change fan switches every 60000. these parts rarely go out but i change them so that i never have a rare failure when i dont need it to happen. well like the fords you speak of (see my avitar picture) the pump is pressed on a bearing shaft. the bearing will fail and the shaft will wobble. this will cause the pump to leak. there is also a inspection hole on the bottom back site of the pump. you will see crusty coolant there if it is leaking. i've never had a bad pump that wasnt leaking

ok ill change the switches.. wow nice avatar dude... bet that makese nasty power... the water pump appears new or looks new ne way .. the guy said he didnt change ne thin on it just took the thermo out and tried driving it like that it still ran hot. he said... i dunno what else to change something is either blockin flow or the water aint circulating through the engine... even wo the thermostat the rad hoses felt hard and when the car go over half way hot on the verge of overheating the car start smoking white colored smoke and idlen bad... i figure cause it building up too much pressure.. not sure though... i still aint changed my rad cap. but the spring in it isnt stuck n still can move it .... i dunno

sorry if i kept you waiting dud. i had a customer to deal with on an engine rebuild i did. i had to explain that the warranty only is valid if i also replace the injectors and all the eletronic sensors. o2 sensor, oil presure switch, etc. thats the machine shops requirements though. well on your issue...i had a 94 integra come in for a coolant service cause it was running hot. this was in like 2001. i did the colant service (new coolant, thermostat, fan switch, rad hoses, flushed extremely dirty coolant out of the syste, bled the system and test drove it). it came back with the same problem. i replaced the radiator this time since a leak either developed or i missed it...probably the later. the coolant was again extremely dirty. i tested the head gasket and it was bad. the guy didnt want to replace it so he was going to trade in his car for a new one. i gave him 1800 bucks for it since he told me the dealer would give him 1300 trade in value. aftrer i did the head gasket the car ran great. i sold it a month later for 4500. the car was immaculate and had seat covers on it ever since he bought it new. you may end up having to re-do your head gasket bro. but do a compression test and head gasket test first tobe sure

hey its all good bro im patient lol.. thanks for all the help man... i had to re set my timing since i took the new water pump off lol... when i pulled the valve cover off it had milky like stuff in it jus like before.. i did also notice a crack or what looks like a very small crack on the cam gear side w the same milky stuff on the crack.. i must overlooked it before.. could this cause my issue?? sorry for all the ?s

sounds like u gotta hella deal on ur acura lol... i wished i still had my 94 honda civic.. it ran a 9.8 in the 1/8 on slicks only mod was apexi and a si stage 2 cam.. 1.5l was smokin them vtecs.. lol man i miss that car .. it was perfect n i traded it for a stupid truck lol....... i think i may take that head off n c what a machine shop charges for checkn it out .. i did find a redone head on ebay for 270 i think it was

questions are good. dont trip on it. but tell me about that milky shit...is it oily like its mixed with oil? or is it like dry coolant?

and you can take it to a machine shop and they should be able to tell you if its cracked indeed. have them do a valve job on it. or the new one they get for you. have them replace the valve guides with new ones too. they can repair your old ones but generally its metal wearing away. honda valve guides generally wear rather quickly compared to the durrability of their engines. i always have the shop replace valve guides on every valve job they do for me. this does cost about 100 bucks extra but i have rested worries knowing they are replaced and i aint going to hear slight noises from the guides and that the valve seats real good on its seat. this gets better combustion and compression....more power even though its probably an extemely small amount.

sorry toook awhile to write back had to make a dinner run lol... the stuff is mily like mixed w the oil in the head it was only a small amount in the head but on the valve cover it was covered.... i didnt think a small crack like tht would cause this much trouble. lol... i only gave like 300 for the car lol... i prolly gonna find another 94 civic 5 speed n put the b18 in it one these days but first is gettin this thing going right lol..

when you did the head gasket did you clean the valve cover? i hot tank the valve covers and sometimes i baking soda blast or sandblast the valve cover and powder coat it. maybe that milky stuff is from the old oil and blown head gasket

no i just wiped it down a rag... i kno sounds bad but it wasnt that bad dirty .. it may have been from the old gasket blown.. but tht crack i seen w the milky stuff n it.. it doesnt smoke all the time.. if i let it run for awhile till it goes to gettin hot and the cooling system builds up pressure (alot). it starts pouring white smoke out. and idling very rough.. i didnt change my radiator cap yet but dont think its bad .. i dunno i usually pretty good at trouble shootin vehicles but this has me stumped

okay the smoke is most likely from the coolant system buildin pressure and pushin coolant through the head gasket area into the cylinders.....why would you build up pressure? i'm tryin to think that over

you changed the thermostat? your water pump is working well, or isnt overdue for replacement? you have no pinched or kinked rediator hoses? your fans kick on and off all the time...meaning you have a good fan switch? you bled the coolant system? you have no blockage in the coolant system? your radiator cap is the correct pressure cap?

radiator hoses can kink when hot fluid runs through them. thats why older V-8 cars many times had coil springs in their lower radiator hoses. if your radiator hoses are too long they can kink easier. make sure they are not excessively long

this could be just your warped head and your now bad head gasket. as the exhaust gasses (heat) warm up the coolant from a warped head, your coolant starts to boil. water boils at 180 degrees if i recall correctly. boiling causes air bubbles and produces pressure in the system. the pressure looks for the easiest escape route...the gaps in the warped head and head gasket. there might not be actual gaps but the warped head producces weak spots in the gasket by lesser pressure on the gasket materiel between the head and block because of the warped head. thus your boiling coolant finds these weak spots and passes through them into the cylinders producing white smoke. the longer the car runs the hotter the head gets the hotter the coolant gets the more pressure the coolant system builds and white smoke is the result

i dont know the boiling temp for antifreeze but the water boiiling temp is to give you the idea of how boiling effects coolant pressure. as to the head gasket pressure i mentioned thats due to a warped head having more pressure in some spots and lesser pressure in others due to the uneven thickness of the metal (the head) at differen head bolt areas. i cant really explain it better than that. you know how you can be good at explaining something to someone but that person cant seem to follow you? sometimes people cant follow me because i fail to explain a part clearly or i simply forget to mention that part. i hope that isnt the case here

ok kool na i follow u man lol.. wow i just noticed u from lancaster.. i used to live in cali.. edwards afb.... ok my fans r not working right i gotta replace the switches... sometimes they work n sometimes they dont.. i took the water pump off and it appears brand new.. didnt find any kinks n the hoses at all.. the rad cap... i forgot bout that part... lol.. dang umm will that cause it to build up pressure it appears to have the factory one on it .. usually i can fix cars n dont have much problems other than the usual hard to get too or no reach to put finger or wrench on it lol... anyway u helped me more than u kno bro if i was still n cali i would bring my car to u bro.. this thing is stumped me ... im like u the building up to much pressure n seeping through the head gasket gets me ... if water pump is good and no kinks in the hoses , how can it run hot.. other than my fans not working right but it can b running good and not hot and turn the heater on it blows fire it seems... but not to long after that it blows ice cold and runs hot... strange to me... no wter in floor as to the heater core be busted... the dude i bought it from jus said he was driving normal n it jus ran hot.. im thinking bout buying a new resurfaced complete head ready to install for like 280.. found it on ebay lol..
thanks for all your help man... sorry took awhile to reply had busy day...

Last edited:
you can have your head redone for that price 280...at least you could if you were here still. its like 170 for the valve job at the machine shop and its 100 extra for NEW valve guides. the one online you dont know that the guides have been replaced. most people only rework them and dont spent the extra 100. if there are any bad valves or seats then thats extra but other than that you can get your head done for 280. how much is it there for the valve job and guides?

the pressure seeping through the head gasket is better understood like this......the head bolts are like a bunch of C-clamps. they are tightened the same amount of turns on the head which =torqued. because the head is warpped the head is thicker in some areas. where the head is thinner the clamps have slightly less pressure on te heads which translates to less pressure pushing down on the head gasket. like a zip-lock bag with a bad zipper seal....if its full of air and you squeeze it putting pressure on the seal, air will escape the bag through the bad spot in the seal...like your warpped head.

Back