head rebuild cost

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

standingzen

Anyone know the average cost for a head being rebuit for this motor?
Thanks...

The cost depends on a lot of things. Are you going to do the work yourself? Are you going to use all stock parts, or are you going to use aftermarket? What is your goal for your setup?

I would like to have the work done, use stock parts, not looking for ultimate performance, just reliability. <_< (first sign of getting old...).
Thanks.

You can probably do it for pretty cheap. Check thepartstrader people are always trying to get ride of stock components (cam gears, camshafts, etc..) for low prices.

For just an oem rebuild, look at aroung 350 + the necessary gaskets that will be needed for reassembly.

New Valve seats, seals and a regrind ~ 200-250
Milling the head flat and a good hot tanking ~75

some places will do it cheaper, but make sure wherever you take it to get the work done does HONDA motors, and not just domestic.

Well, I have helped a ton of people with what your needing.

3 angle valve job
new valve seals
complete disassembly/cleaning. reassembly
IB Spec valvetrain with Magnesium retainers
resurfaced
the thing looks like new, but flows more and can handle 10,000 RPM.

$475+ shipping. Can't go wrong. better than brand new.

Jeff

Originally posted by Import Builders@Jun 14 2004, 12:05 AM
Well, I have helped a ton of people with what your needing.

3 angle valve job
new valve seals
complete disassembly/cleaning. reassembly
IB Spec valvetrain with Magnesium retainers
resurfaced
the thing looks like new, but flows more and can handle 10,000 RPM.

$475+ shipping. Can't go wrong. better than brand new.

Jeff

Jeff, why magnesium retainers? why not Ti? Isn't magnesium a softer, more reactive metal?

damn 350 is a grip for a basic rebuild, there is a machine shop around here that does it for 200, that includes 3 angle valve job, new seals, hot tank, pressure testing, and resurfacing.

Originally posted by HondaMoCo@Jun 15 2004, 01:04 PM
damn 350 is a grip for a basic rebuild, there is a machine shop around here that does it for 200, that includes 3 angle valve job, new seals, hot tank, pressure testing, and resurfacing.

Just keep in mind you get what you pay for. But if you trust them, and know their work, then go for it, that is a good deal. My 626 sohc head cost about 200 to rebuild, but it is only a 12 valve head not a 16. It also included complete assembly of the head.

Shipping to me, from 48 states USA is like $35-40 for a bare head.

My rate is not the cheapest. I have to make money, quite honestly. But when people go with me, they get my knowledge, support and commitment to seeing them succeed.

Without that, I would be a petty salesman.

Try one of my heads. Feel free to critique it online, for everyone to see. the work is great.

Jeff

Originally posted by MikeBergy+Jun 15 2004, 08:38 PM-->
HondaMoCo
@Jun 15 2004, 01:04 PM

Just keep in mind you get what you pay for. But if you trust them, and know their work, then go for it, that is a good deal. My 626 sohc head cost about 200 to rebuild, but it is only a 12 valve head not a 16. It also included complete assembly of the head.

naa these guys do good work, theyve been around for a real long time

Back