1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Head Shaving on a B16

Discussion in 'Engine Building' started by slow1pt7, Apr 3, 2007.

1. slow1pt7

slow1pt7 New Member

I've got a JDM B16A2 (10.4:1) and I was thinking about shaving the head to gain a little more compression. Stock gasket thickness is .029 so shaving the head .020 would put me right around 11:1. Is .020" the max I could go safely with all stock internals?

2. slow1pt7

slow1pt7 New Member

I guess my second question would be where would I find a one layer head gasket if the head shaving is not such a good idea.

3. boostin4fun

boostin4fun Boosted ls/vtec ohh yeah!

I dont believe in shaving a head for more compression. Especially when it is a b series dohc vtec head. They are getting harder and harder to come by so why shave one down? Thats only going to limit the number of times it can be surfaced thus shortening is possible life span. I dont know thats just my 2 cents. Some people remove the steel layer from the headgasket to get a little more compression. I would consider different pistons if you really want a decent jump in compression.

4. klyph

klyph Dismember VIP

I would also recommend getting pistons instead. If you shave the head, You'll have to get adjustable cam gears which are mucho dinero.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted