Head Shaving on a B16

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

slow1pt7

I've got a JDM B16A2 (10.4:1) and I was thinking about shaving the head to gain a little more compression. Stock gasket thickness is .029 so shaving the head .020 would put me right around 11:1. Is .020" the max I could go safely with all stock internals?

I guess my second question would be where would I find a one layer head gasket if the head shaving is not such a good idea.

I dont believe in shaving a head for more compression. Especially when it is a b series dohc vtec head. They are getting harder and harder to come by so why shave one down? Thats only going to limit the number of times it can be surfaced thus shortening is possible life span. I dont know thats just my 2 cents. Some people remove the steel layer from the headgasket to get a little more compression. I would consider different pistons if you really want a decent jump in compression.

I would also recommend getting pistons instead. If you shave the head, You'll have to get adjustable cam gears which are mucho dinero.

Back