Head Units!!

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

I am going to have see that Calesta. I might get that one then, a newer model if they have one. I love the fact that it is a MP3 player too. I really like the new Sony Xplod, I love the colors, but I don't want the same problem. I know I can send it back, but I can't live without a radio, especially for a week at the least.

i was running a kenwood mp-919. i have had it about 2 years, but a few weeks ago it just quit on me. so if you had asked 3 weeks ago i would rock that, cause its one of the best decks i have ever had, but now i am going to agree with everyone else and say go with alpine.

alpine>>>>>>>>>all other stereo shizz. oh, wait you could get an eclipse deck with the dvd decoder and gps system built in.

My current head unit.

What I am leaning towards.

I am still debating getting this new head unit, I really like the Xplod, I know a lot of people who have Sony's and they work great, maybe I just got a faulty one? I don't know, I am still looking at Alpine.

This Pioneer is on the top right of the screen. I think this is the one I will get.

Pioneer.

my experience with sony is mixed...

the old ES stuff they made was awesome, but the newer stuff, while good out of the box, is not something i would recommend buying if you expect it to last a long time.,...

the Xplod stuff, from what i have seen has a lif expectency of around a year...

meanwhile, pioneer (esp. the premier line) and alpine mak awesome decks, that last forever if YOU don't break them..

one thing though.

while alpine is an awesome deck from a standpoint of sound quality, their response in the low end frequencies is nowhere near the quality of the pioneer decks..

the pioneer's are priced competitively, and will make a fool out of an alpine in the sub-bass frequencies..

so as not to be classified as a know-it-all noob, it should be said that i have been an installer for years, and i am MECP certified...

ive got an aiwa mp3 headunit. why? well it was relitavly cheap, played mp3s and had an input jack in the front. Unfortunatly after about 7 months it stopped playing mp3s alltogether, while i can hook up my mp3 player through the aux jack, it just isnt the same. Thinking about getting a new deck sometime in the future, i imagine it will probably be a poineer or a panasonic though.

Pioneer Premier models are the shiznittle-ban-skittle....
Alpine is good stuff.........
Kenwood is getting there......
Sony blows ass, always has, always will. That shit needs to explode.
Clarion is falling out of the scene it seems like......
Eclipse(Fujitsu-Ten) is damn nice and simple........
JVC is cheap.

Good tweeters??? Diamond Audio Hex Silk domes, look to spend about $300 for two sets tho.

I haven't heard anything but awesome sound from Alpines. I have had Alpines,Sony,Pioneer,JVC,Kenwood, and a few cheapos. Alpine has ALWAYS had the best sound, quality, and ease of use. They have a very distinct style, which some people may not like. I love them. Pioneers seem to do the best for recieving radio signals, but it seems like you have to adjust the sound constantly depending on the song. Alpines require much less tuning, and IMO sound much better most of the time, including low end. I don't care about the crossover point. I believe we all want a low signal to noise ratio, which alpine always has. Clean sound.

Originally posted by Frankie P.@Oct 16 2003, 01:44 PM
I was too busy holding on to the car. Plus we didn't really listen to the radio much, I was being enlightend.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :thumbsup:

I like Premier (l33t pioneer) sounds. The highest end pioneer, is near the premier, the only main difference being preout voltage. So basically, big amplified all around system = Premier, no amplification (or only subs) = Pioneer. (or alpine for that matter). I prefer the menus and control of premier over alpine also. Just an opinion though.

my 02

Frankie P. I was in the same perdicament you are in. I was deciding between those exact 2 head units myself. In the end I chose the Pioneer and I've been pretty satisfied with it, and the organic el screens is tight.

Can you change the background (cars) to anything else, just in case I feel like changing them.

Originally posted by Frankie P.@Oct 16 2003, 03:49 PM
I have one more question, who makes the tweeters, I am looking to buying four.

if your going to do that buy a two sets of componets(sp) instead. I just picked up a two sets of image dynimics(sp) 5.25's .

image is good
boston are great
focal is good as well

sorry, I've been busy to reply sooner, but yea you can change couple of different background. For some reason, I don't have the car display and I'm actually kinda pissed about that. I have one with a waverunner and dolphins, and I have a space shuttle one, then there's different things for background with text or meters.

Back