Header fitment

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

P7ank5te7

Well I got a header for my car. I've had it sitting in the box for good while now and decided to put it on. My few questions that come about are, what is the normal size of the collector going into the cat? Do they normally come without a bottom bracket to hold the down pipe up? And from what it looks like mine was 2.5" out and the donut is in there but it seems like I've got a small leak when under pressure, does anyone else experience this? I figured I'd ask everyone here to see what comes to mind. There are a few other things tho, such as what is the best placement for the O2 sensor since I have a spot on the 1/4 pipes and then one at the collector, and as far as it goes, who makes the best high flow cat for a relatively reasonable price. I think that I may invest in one because the fact that its like 2.5 upfront and 2.25 in the back, the thing is I would like it to be bolt up and such. Thanks in advance. -Gary

Headers don't have the lip at the collector like the manifolds do . I have a small leak on mine for that reason and that it's not tightened in all the way.

I don't know the brand. I have good friends and family who see me working all the time and usually help me with the car so. I wouldn't doubt it was an Ebay special tho ;) haha. But looking it over it seems to be ok for the time being. But its a 4-2-1 setup. Whats the max inlet on the stock cat? And how about that leaking only under heavy acceleration? -Gary

So you running a stock cat on either of your alls cars? Thats why I think I have a small leak, because the bolts were good or well looked like it. But yes I did reuse the originals, and think if its still kind of leaking, I will try new bolt's but I mean they looked like they weren't compressed.When we tightened them in and all the way down and the springs were compress so I'd expect it to be tight but I may be wrong. -Gary

shit

Do you need a catalytic converter to pass smog and emissions? If you do, then it's located between the header and the exhaust piping, right? If that's true then I just noticed I don't have one lmao no wonder it's so loud.

See I have to get my car inspected, insured, and still have to get the title transferred. I think there's a old dude around here that will pass just about anything that rolls thru his shop since he just checks the lights and brakes anyway. Are you supposed to get an emissions test when your ride gets inspected?

Ya, my buddy who works around a shop, helped me throwing it on. It really bites when you can't get under a vehicle due to prior injury. Would you recommend new bolts and maybe a little tighter springs? And I would like to thank everyone for all the answers on the header part. But you all would recommend a magnaflow high flow cat? Also, Just for kicks and giggles, what about the OBX High Flow cats eBay Motors: OBX High Flow Catalytic Converter 92-95 Honda Civic CAT (item 170115186581 end time May-30-07 18:30:43 PDT)
like that one? -Gary

Ya, same here, I have a friend who does my inspection, and he just checks, lights, horn, tires, and on an occasion, brakes. But as Blanco said, its based off location. I know where I'm at, they don't do a sniff test but just check and see if you have leaks, but when I'm in Jersey and my dad takes his vehicle in, they test them. -Gary

Actually, did 92-95 civics even go into production with a cat? I know the 4th gens did but not sure about 5th.

I thought cats came about on "all" cars in America in the early 80's. You got any special places to order that cat, Blanco? -Gary

ID = inside diameter.

Blanco, remember to explain it fully for some people.

In that case, the loud sound should mean I'm getting some gain in hp....5-10? And i'll have to take another look but all I saw last I looked under the hood was the header pipe bolted right onto another straight pipe no cat.

I plan on going turbo soon so I figured I'd grab a catback that can function as a turboback later on and a good catback for now :). mmmmmm nothing like a frozen pizza from the toaster oven

Well, I took the car to the shop to get it checked and they said the sound I'm hearing is the header and vortex of it. So I guess I'm not used to it and thats why I thought it was leaking. But I have them throw on a Magnaflow high flow and holy heck, it made a difference, plus my exhaust doesn't "stank" any more.. haha I guess its a win win situation so. -Gary

Yes it is, because It gave my a little more aggressive sound, which is what I like. I don't want the insanely loud exhaust but the aggressive sound, but thats why my car is ran with the silencer on streets then open with out. But have you ever heard of a header sounding like an exhaust leak just because its individual runners? -Gary

Back