Header install = Loss of power

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Bns773

Sup all. I have a 92 CX with a B16. I just got a DC 4 to 1 and it seems that I lost power after installing the header. I just wanted to know if anyone has had a similar problem like this.

Not to get on your case but you can not expect a great deal of hp or tq increase with just a header and cat-back completed!

I have only felt an hp and tq increase when I installed an Intake on my old car! You can really feel the difference when you go 80+ mph! Not the cat-back exhaust!

More shit needs to be done to that engine before you can feel the actual benifit of that header!

Sounds good but I'm not worried about the increase of power now I'm more interested in if anyone has felt a loss of power. When I had my stock manifold on it felt alot quicker and now it feels...well boggy. I'm not throwing any CELs but it just feels funny now.

I have never put a header in my car before but I lost power when the cat-back exhaust went in!

you probably did loose horsepower and torque....you just freed up your whole exhaust with all your high fly cat, cat back exhaust and now headers....so now unless u got some extra power coming through u lost back pressure and ur valves start to float so u actually do have a chance of loosing both

4-1 design is optimized for 5000+ rpm gains in HP. it DOES loose some bottom end torque.

and like everyone is saying here, flowing more air in helps too... its one big system

Originally posted by Bns773@Oct 14 2003, 08:54 AM
Sup all. I have a 92 CX with a B16. I just got a DC 4 to 1 and it seems that I lost power after installing the header. I just wanted to know if anyone has had a similar problem like this.

I don't know man i gat 92 with a b16a and 4-2-1 header and they kick ass

Damn I was thinking it was a back pressure issue. Thats what a few of my friends said too. Should I buy another cat to bring the pressure back up? :blink:

I believe you have to start doing force induction or fuel upgrade to your engine in order to get those back!

I have a Spoon drop in and my ignition is coming next week.

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Oct 14 2003, 09:28 AM
4-1 design is optimized for 5000+ rpm gains in HP. it DOES loose some bottom end torque.

and like everyone is saying here, flowing more air in helps too... its one big system

Everything has gotta be equal - kinda like, you cant expect anything from a big cam if you dont have the capacity to pump in extra fuel for it.

That is why you ought to save all your money and do it all at once! This is America I know and nobody here has that kinda patients! Niether do I! :lol:

Originally posted by dok+Oct 14 2003, 09:30 AM-->
@Oct 14 2003, 08:54 AM

I don't know man i gat 92 with a b16a and 4-2-1 header and they kick ass

that is because 4-1 is designed for top end gains and 4-2-1 is designed to keep the low end (stock manifold is 4-2-1)

4-1's generally gain the most as compared to 4-2-1's, like stated above they are designed to flow up top when literally you need it to flow most.

Always upgrade you intake first cuz more air in=more air needing to get out. stock manifold air in+performance exhaust out= long winded. it means it doesnt match up and you dont have the velocity you had with you stock exhaust manifold you get velocity by having backpressure so if you want the power from that header you need to upgrade your intake. and the further back the exhaust component the less it effects power so it probly has nothing to do with your cat back

The best type of header is a tuned one which is usually a 4-1 because it times the exhaust pulses and collects them at one point all together which creates a high pressure front and right behind is a low one so the next pulse will naturally want to go to the low pressure so it actully sucks out the exhaust this is called "scavenging"

Back