Header install = Loss of power

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Originally posted by Bns773@Oct 14 2003, 09:35 AM
I have a Spoon drop in and my ignition is coming next week.

i'd say, don't bother on the ignition. and by drop in you mean air filter? i don't know shit 'bout spoon. but if so, i'd reccomend that you get a decent intake, try iceman or maybe AEM.

Originally posted by Bns773@Oct 14 2003, 02:54 PM
I just got a DC 4 to 1 and it seems that I lost power after installing the header.

Have you dyno'ed it? Maybe it does just seem that way, the butt dyno sucks. But as said before it probably just shifted the power up high.

Nothing can beat a good Port and polish job to the head to get it flowing better also...... Remember an engine is an air pump, more in, more out, better results.... I'd say boost it, but then you'd have to replace the header anyway.....

Its just the header. you can see my mods in my sig. My cars feels like its bogging below 5000rpm but once your on the gas you can feel alittle more power over stock. If you feel slower in the lower rpm's try a lighter flywheel, thats what my next mod is.

I guess I'll just wait till I get a new intake, and ignition maybe that will help. Thanks for all the input.

Originally posted by Bns773@Oct 14 2003, 11:50 AM
And why would an ignition not be good. More air in, Hotter fire, And more exhust = HP

where u gettin the more air in from? not the ignition...also just a little thing heat rises means the air is thinner therefore the hotter it is the more u need :D

Originally posted by 87B16CRX+Oct 14 2003, 11:57 AM-->
@Oct 14 2003, 11:50 AM
And why would an ignition not be good. More air in, Hotter fire, And more exhust = HP

where u gettin the more air in from? not the ignition...also just a little thing heat rises means the air is thinner therefore the hotter it is the more u need :D

I would be getting more air from a better intake. And I know heat rises but I was talking about a hotter spark from the ignition. <_<

here is your answer:
http://www.importtuner.com/tech/0307it_ppcivic/

cliff notes: DC header was installed on a 2003 civic si (B16a) and torque actually DROPPED by 5.1lbsft! thats not just at the bottom of the power range...that is PEAK torque. BUT....peak hp actually increased by some. here is the results...

performance chart
HP Level, HP+, TQ Level, TQ+
B Baseline 153.3 * 131.9 *
1 K&N Air Filter 160.6 7.3 135.3 4.4
2 Tanabe Exhaust 163.4 2.8 134.8 -0.5
3 DC Sports Header 166.9 3.5 129.7 -5.1
Final 166.9 13.6 129.7 -2.2

FYI, usually torque is lost only in the lower rpms....even with DC headers. every car is different. i actually felt more torque throughout my whole powerband when my header was installed. i already had an intake and cat-back. im sure it wasnt just in my head because i didnt need to give the car as much gas to get it rolling from a stop.

Originally posted by CRX_B16B@Oct 14 2003, 10:33 AM
Always upgrade you intake first cuz more air in=more air needing to get out. stock manifold air in+performance exhaust out= long winded. it means it doesnt match up and you dont have the velocity you had with you stock exhaust manifold you get velocity by having backpressure so if you want the power from that header you need to upgrade your intake. and the further back the exhaust component the less it effects power so it probly has nothing to do with your cat back

yeah my buddies del sol made 20 whp on the dyno when he replaced the intake box with an actual intake, he had everything but the air, and man the air/fuel got soo much better

Back