Header only has 1 slot for 02 sensor

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

dotherockawear

I have a 98 civic dx 1.6 sohc . Just put a header on today and now i am running with 1 oxygen sensor in and a check engine light. Maybe its because the other one isnt plugged in? ::sarcasm:: I need new pipes too because they didnt match up to the stock ones. I ghetto bolted them on though. Anybody ever have this situation before? Where should I go from here? Get the second 02 sensor welded in? Buy a chipped computer?

thanks in advance
nick

On the DX/CX/LX headers, the cat is part of the actual header, so both o2 sensors are on the header. With an aftermarket header, you're gonna have to either get a jumper and an obd1 ecu, or just get a secondary o2 sensor put somewhere after the header. Just go to a muffler shop and have them put your stock secondary o2 sensor right behind the flange, and extend the wires yourself. No biggie.

Originally posted by spectacle@Dec 1 2004, 12:20 AM
next time don't buy a cheap header that doesn't match your OBD
[post=424383]Quoted post[/post]​

this has to be the only forum that every body flames you for not knowing everything about honda... give the guy a break

:fuckyou2: :fuckyou3: :kick: :slap: :fuckyou:

Originally posted by formby+Dec 1 2004, 01:12 PM-->
spectacle
@Dec 1 2004, 12:20 AM

this has to be the only forum that every body flames you for not knowing everything about honda... give the guy a break

[post=424518]Quoted post[/post]​

he just gave him his advice is all dont think he meant to be crude about it . should always by the part meant for ur year do you buy a water pump for a 90 integra if u own a 2000 there both b18s but different will it work maybe but dont risk it !

Originally posted by formby+Dec 1 2004, 10:12 AM-->
spectacle
@Dec 1 2004, 12:20 AM

[post=424518]Quoted post[/post]​

I agree with you formby.

the second o2 goes after the cat. i don't see how the header even has ANYTHING to do with this problem at all.

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Dec 1 2004, 02:17 PM
the second o2 goes after the cat. i don't see how the header even has ANYTHING to do with this problem at all.
[post=424545]Quoted post[/post]​

on my 00 civic one went into the header before the flange and one went into the cat

Originally posted by hcivic.com@Dec 1 2004, 01:45 PM
splice the wires to gether and run just one o2
[post=424553]Quoted post[/post]​

NO. do not do this.

in the cat/after the cat, whatever... fact is its not on the header at all. ALL headers on the market to the ebst of my knowledge have at least one o2 bung in them.

Just going to the muffler shop and getting the secondary o2 welded into the exhaust after the header will not solve your check engine light problem. And don't combine both o2 wires to one, they each give the ecu different readings. There is 2 ways of doing this.

1) get a secondary o2 simulator, and wire that in.

OR

2) You have to buy a new cat. The Secondary o2 HAS to be on the exiting side of the cat. It basically lets the computer know if the cat is doing its job. Your probably getting the code 67 (P0420) (catalyst system efficiency below threshold).

After I put a header on my 98 d16y7 I had this problem also. I tried just leaving the o2 hanging in my engine bay but that didn't work. So don't waste your time getting a o2 bung welded into your exhaust pipe without a cat.

And I don't remeber where I got my o2 simulator just do a search on yahoo, goggle, etc. and you'll find one. They aren't expensive and very easy to install.

Back