Headers okay in California?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

divisii

Background- for reasons of my own, I'm redoing the engine/5spd on my Civic DX .. it's soon to have an EX driveline.

I've talked to a few shops, read through many sources, & talked to ppl .. only CARB legal parts will pass smog. But, I'm being told, if I have noticeable changes from stock, no one will smog it .. because it won't pass CA visual requirements.
It seems even a CARB header will raise flags...

Questions- Has anyone's (non-BAR'ed) Honda actually passed a smog, legally, with a header? Please tell me what brand header & where?

If you have the carb O.E., the smog techs cannot legally give you any grief unless, of course, you don't pass the sniffer. I had my bright red AEM CAI, and passed with forged oversized 11.5 CR pistons without the stock O2 sensor (I had my wideband pass the narrowband signal to the ecu). The tech saw all my junk as I was telling him about my build, and said "cool. hope it passes the sniffer." I guess it all depends on how you present yourself, and who you take your car to. I have talked with the guys that did my smog, and they said that they have seen total hackjobs that they failed because the guy just didn't do the build right. Make sure you have all your emissions equipment, your carb O.E.s for what ever mods that they can see, and you should be good.

Illegal

They are illegal but, most cops don't have a clue. In my srt-4 I acctually got 8 fix-it tickets in one stop because they cop was a car fanatic and called me out on my modified turbo setup, exhaust violations, and methanol injection. Just be careful bro.:cool:

Right, yeah...this thread is two years old dude...check the dates on stuff before you post...

Back