Headlight Rice Question

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Tonyd0821

Banned
not sure where to post it, so if im wrong, FLAME AWAY

i got a 96 coupe. and am too broke to afford and find real ctr headlights.
few questions.
1) do you think it would look bad if i were to open my headlights and paint the areas in red black?...not the whole assemly....just the areas i have photoshopped in red then black.
2) can the headlights be opened?
3) would this be considered "rice"?

it would be done in a real subtle way, so as to not stand out unless you happen to notice it...
thats all. i think it MAY look kinda clean if i did it? im not sure. thats why im asking u guys' opinions
s3e8a45b8b4210.jpg

leave the headlights alone.

on a side note....clean those damn rims up on the left side of the picture. you should be ashamed of yourself for having dirty rims. :tisk:

well, i jacked that picture from codee who sent it to me.....so those arent my rims.

ok. well it was just an idea to paint them black to save a few bucks like the miser i am.

thanks for ur input tho

<<edit>> this isnt my picture.....i just got it off the net as an example

Its one of wongs pictures. Yea, i sent it to tony to show him the ctr headlamps, b/c i think they are sexy.

Collin, i dont think the ITR 4 ligs would even fit a civic. I think they are 4x113? or something

They are 4x114.3. You would have to do a CTR 4 lug conversion which is kinda pointless.

Paint areas that aren't used to reflect the beam with black carcoal paint used for BBQ's. They withhold under very high heat.
All you need to do to open the headlight is to put it in the over at 300 degrees for 10 minutes. Then you can pull it apart. Do the same to put it back together , just add a bead of silicone on the edge. Make sure to sand off the chrome area that you'll paint.
JDM style for $10 and an afternoon of time.
More info on HAG boards ifyou want to check it out.

Originally posted by Prowler@Apr 1 2003, 10:36 PM
Paint areas that aren't used to reflect the beam with black carcoal paint used for BBQ's. They withhold under very high heat.
All you need to do to open the headlight is to put it in the over at 300 degrees for 10 minutes. Then you can pull it apart. Do the same to put it back together , just add a bead of silicone on the edge. Make sure to sand off the chrome area that you'll paint.

holy shit... that's pretty clever!

Originally posted by Prowler@Apr 1 2003, 10:36 PM

ok but hold on. pills said not to do it, and u are saying do it.

point blank.

IS THIS RICE OR NOT?

i know to each his own, but seriously. im broke and want to make them look a little better without making them "stand out"

I dont think its rice at all, it looks good (if it ends up like the pic on the bottom) but if its just painted black then I think that well classifies as rice. Just a thought but what about stained glass paint like the stuff homemadeturbo.com used on their "rice to nice" taillights (only not red of coarse). And what do you mean by BBQ paint?

Added: Is that electrical tape?

I would consider it rice--If I asked my friend what lights he had, and he told me he painted some parts black or used charcoal, I would kick is lame ass. That would be like making your own exhaust with PVC pipes or something gheyer.

No joke about the PVC piping, there's a kid at school with a red Civic that has a CAI with huge PVC piping all the way through. Like toilet size PVC piping. It's ghetto. I've got to get a pic of it sometime.

i see no problem with it .... you just have to be really OCD about it, or its gunna look like ass, let water in, break, etc.....
if it looks good and is done with quality then who gives a fuck how much it cost
if you do it right and it looks good then why bother wasting $400+ on a fucking headlight set ????? :bash:

Paint away if you plan on doing it correctly. I would only call it rice if it stuck out and looked stupid. But if you do it right it wont, so who cares. It's your car.

Back