Heal and toe shifting

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Heh so u've never been to california eh? or the mountains in north america?.. fun stuff. even if you're not trying to 'practice' heal and toe.
The greatest thrill is the fact your still alive after you're done, and teh ride home will be even better.
Edit: and if you play the Initial-D sountrack, you can think you're drifting in an SUV while you're going through the mountains passes.

Last edited:
yeah, its wonderful to think that everyone in the world thinks america is all straight roads....especially when we have one of the biggest hill climb events in the world.

it might say i live in dallas, but the section i live in is not very urban (now where i work, is urban). I live out in the country, lots of dirt roads lots of fun stuff...i just happen to live 15 miles from one of the biggest tracks in the US, and 30 minutes from 2 consistent autox events (wichita falls and tms bus lot).

yeah, its wonderful to think that everyone in the world thinks america is all straight roads....especially when we have one of the biggest hill climb events in the world.

it might say i live in dallas, but the section i live in is not very urban (now where i work, is urban). I live out in the country, lots of dirt roads lots of fun stuff...i just happen to live 15 miles from one of the biggest tracks in the US, and 30 minutes from 2 consistent autox events (wichita falls and tms bus lot).

can't say the same for me, florida is below see level and the highest hill is probably 5ft above sea level. But i've been to cali and tenessee. For approx. 2 hours i was going through a winding highway between 2 mountains. speed limit was fast, shart turns after shart turns, huge wall on your left, pile of rocks held by a light-weight metal net on the immideate right. Driving in an suv:ph34r: there was not easy... i was scared shitless most of the time because you never know if there's a rockslide right around the corner.:eek:

Heh so u've never been to california eh? or the mountains in north america?.. fun stuff. even if you're not trying to 'practice' heal and toe.
The greatest thrill is the fact your still alive after you're done, and teh ride home will be even better.
Edit: and if you play the Initial-D sountrack, you can think you're drifting in an SUV while you're going through the mountains passes.

Actually i have been to the US, but much rather snow filled mountains in Ronda or Granada Spain, Sand dunes of al cachon France or the french alps (pyrenees) So you could say i've had my fun on four wheels but i practice at home in Gibraltar, also does every one call the heel of your foot the 'HEAL' or should reikoshea also take the piss out of me because he cannot spell 'colours' in English, any way i've had some pretty usefull answers for some questions i've asked but it seems to me most of you guys are here just to brag and pisstake, so i'll drag my ass back to the engine swap forrum, sorry for all the guys who actually wanna learn some stuff about your Hondas and driving c ya!)

Didn't want to come across saying the US has the best roads for racing, or proffesional driving. I just wanted to clear up a misconception many people have about the US.
And a lot of people get atleast something usefull from this site, otherwise it wouldn't be so populated. Most of the time when people act like dickheads around here is when there's a question asked that's already been answered, is completely retarted, or should be researched before asking stupid questions or questions that aren't refined. So you might want to refrase "sorry for all you guys who actually wanna learn some stuff" to "research your question thurally and then post it with as much detail as possible if you want to learn some stuff about your Hondas and driving."
One more thing, don't expect an open ended thread like "Do you guys use heel and toe, and what do you think about it," to not contain some flaming, or DISLIKE of the item being viewed. That was one of the aspects of the question "what YOU think" about it.

p.s. if jeryjohn didn't mean any illwill from his post, then my apologies if I look like i'm bashing him.

It is possible to shift up and down shift without the clutch. I thought myself how to do it a long time ago just in case. Has came in handy though. One time my shoe string loop got caught on the pedal and my foot was stuck underneath the clutch pedal while coming to a intersection, just down shifted without the clutch and it wasn't a problem.

Each car has its own feel though. To get it to shift down you have to release the accelerator slightly and to up shift press the accelerator slightly. I can't give a accurate statement on how much you will have to let off the accelerator or push it to achieve this, because every car has a different feel.

My first car when I was 16 was standard, I have been driving a manual transmission since for 7 years. I prefer them over automatics. Automatic you can't get a feel of the car. Standard is like the car is an extension of your own body. I guess after driving one that long you don't even think about how you shift, just like walking you don't think about how you do that it just comes naturally. If you wanted to run you can do it and if you want to accelerate fast you can do it without thinking about it.

Nice links, just checked them out.

Allot of these techniques though are allot harder to put into words. Like the comparison of shifting and walking. I can't tell you how to balance yourself while walking because of the different physical features a person may have. The same applies to these techniques, you have to get a feel for them.

As for clutchless shifting, I believe this is something that everyone who drives a standard transmission should know. I don't think it should be used regularly but only in the situation of an emergency. For instance worn clutch or the inability to move a limb due to injury, but you still have to drive yourself to the ER.

i havn't asked question! check the thread from the begining, was just trying to defend some poor sucker who was foolish enough to ask that very question and gets bashed on by some of you people come here to learn so who cares what question they ask if you don't deem it worthy of a response just don't, any way just being hypocritical now answering YOUR pointless question meshca, live and let live, i'm stoned i'm outta here!)

Blanco this is what your link sais about clutchless shifting and i totally agree thats all:

'Some of you may be tempted to learn the techniques of "speed shifting"--shifting without using the clutch--in the interest of saving time. Many schools and professional racers have shown over and over that there is no speed or lap time advantage to this, and it carries a much higher risk of gear box damage.'-Turnfast.com

I'm just saying Clutchless shifting is very unorthodox technique,i supose you could use the reverse gear to brake as welll hehe just kidding;)

Back