Heat Wrapping my Header

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

PBE9699

Ok maybe this sounds like a stupid question but I would really like to know... how do I heat wrap my header? I plan to do it tomorrow and can someone tell me how much feet of heat wrap I should buy? Thanks in advance ;)

Also I'm wondering, if a buy a new manifold gasket do i need to use Liquid Gasket (silicone)?
Why would I need to use Liquid Gasket in any case???

get the wrap a little damp, so when it drys it will be tight. Start from the top and work you way down clamping all loose ends, and yes it will start to smoke when you first start her up, it's normal and ok. Just let the wrap burn some and your good to go. I noticed a big difference in underhood temps after this.

header wrap is a good idea and a bad idea.
good because it helps keep under the hood temps down.
bad well, because after you turn your car off haveing the header wapped actually promotes moisture building on the inside of the header and condensing, causeing premature rot of the header from the inside out.

So it's toss up for the benefits recieved

Thanks a lot Milan I'll be doing that today.... and CRX-YEM... when you say premature rot of the header how soon are we talking? like a year or sumthin?

Anyone have any experience with the liquid gasket?

No Liquid gasket, these are for fluids, not air. If anything, before all of the shit burns out, it will cause a leak. As far as the rot goes, depends on what header you are wrapping and I usually see the cat, b-pipe, or muffler go out first.

I wrapped my heavy duty oem JDM ITR header..that this isn't going to "rott out" any time in the next 5 or so years, you will be fine with it.

Sweeet thanks a lot for all the Help... I bought the OEM Gasket for about $30 and its all goin on tonight... Hope I wrap the header properly!!!

yeah I mean it make the progress of things rotting faster
more like what JDMilan said, instead of getting 7 years out of your header your gonna get 5 or so.

dont worry dood its kinda hard to mess up wrapping a header..did you get instruction with your wrap?if so read them,did you get the straps for the wrap?..good luck

Actually they don't sell wrap specifically for headers here... They call it marine wrap and I got it at the hardware store from a big roll. No straps either so i had to improvise by tucking it in and pulling it tight with a pliers. Ok so everything is in now and it feels sweet :) THanks a lot for all the help everyone!

Back