Heel and Toe technique explained

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

I already know how, but this explains it very well... nice article ;)

they make a good point about pedals... just a littlebit to add, be careful what pedals you get if you get aftermarket pedals... some of them are too thik and you'll have to use the old fashion method of heal-toe... usually the ones they say were made for heal-toe are usually not good for heal toe... ( found that out the hard way) Because Hondas/Acuras have a small area for pedals, it is usually good to get aftermarket pedals that have a slightly larger pedal area then the stock pedals and that bring the accellerator pedal forward. they will usually have a small foam peace that will do that for you. I heard that it is better to replace the entire pedal assemby not just put covers on, but I personally haven't felt a difference. :unsure:

i wish i had read that last year, before i started playing around at Auto-X's

Originally posted by MaaseyRacer@Oct 19 2003, 12:40 AM
i wish i had read that last year, before i started playing around at Auto-X's

Well from talking to many experienced and good autocrossers, once they get their car into second gear, they just stay in second for the whole rest of the course. Once in a great while if there is a long straight stretch, they might go into third. But lots of shifting is frowned upon. That's my observations from CT autocrossing and the Mazdaspeed event in the Boston area. One competitor in a teg is very adept at left foot braking while cornering though...

yea, the heal toe is hard to do on a 1g Mr2 :( pedals are too close together.... i'll have to give it whirl on the crx.... see if it actually helps or not...

using the heel-toe technique allows me to match the tranny speed wit the engine speed when i late brake, enables better chances of coming off the apex wit the power down. Left foot braking is something to be used when ur on a sweeping turn and ur front pushes, allow you to bring the front back in step.

All i need to know is what MPH i can take each gear up to. If my 2nd gear goes to 60 and im at 50 and somebody wants to race........DOWN SHIFT. If my 3rd gear goes to 95 and im going 70 what do i do........DOWN SHIFT. Its really really really easy.

i've always been driving with heel and toe, unfortunately i have no idea about double-declutching =) sounds too complex..

a 1st gen mr2...if they are too close to heel-toe, try the rolling technique. this can also be used in hondas.

simply keep the inside of your right foot on the brake, while keeping the outside of your foot on the gas. when youre heading into a turn, press down on the brake, and roll your foot on the gas to bring the revs up so you can match the speeds. the inside ball of your foot should act as a balance point, given you have proper shoes on. but then again, who would go out racing with some big, heavy, wide shoes anyway? (good shoe for racing while still lookin clean is the vans rowley 2. gives you nice pedal feel.) just drive around back roads practicing this, over time you will get better and it will just become second nature.

in bimmers you have heel-toe very well, but i found its kinda difficult/awkward in honda. i just roll my foot from either pedal.

Not a big fan of Heel and Toe. I dont ever race around corners either. Good article for those who do Grand Truismo style racing.

Back