heel-toe video------this is how its done

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

its for when you need to shift while braking....but you want to keep you car in the sweet powerband area so while braking with the toe, you gas with the heel to raise rpm between shifts

Originally posted by H22AdelSol@May 31 2004, 05:29 AM
im confused, why not just put less pressure on the brake pedal

The point isn't how fast or slow you slow down for a turn, it's what speed your engine is at when you come out of the turn.

Heel toe is hard to do with size 13 fat feet. I just learned how to brake quickly and then match revs. :shrug2:

Works just as well IMO.

I'm not sure why it would harm your engine unless you over-revved the motor. The point is to have the RPM where they will be when you let out the clutch not to rev it to a million RPM

I also tried rev matching but it was too hard to do under racing conditions so I do like this guy but I dbl clutch between down-shifts. I tried left foot braking at one event but since I primarily stay in 2nd gear but I need A LOT more practice at that.

I have a large foot as well. It HELPS do this maneuver because my foot is also wide.

Watch the video.. He isn't using his foot and his heel..

I've tried that, it just doesnt work for me. I am really good at rev matching, so I just do that.

I think heel-toe is something that should be explained in the manner of the pedals, not what your feet are doing.

I toe with my toes on the gas, heel on the brake. I find it's tough to apply the right amounts of pressure if I heel the gas, and toe the brake. Then, while explaining to my gf, she found it was difficult to move her ankle outwards. So she does it opposite.

Since I have size 11 feet, I can easily keep my foot jut forward and straight, and use the sides of my feet to do it.

-> Steve

I hate to sound like a smart ass know it all or even just a tard but.........he sucks and i can say with out a doubt i can do better, and im saying this knowing full well that he seems to be in something thats probably rear wheel drive.

I mean he's not banging the corners very clean at all not even a little bit.

This isn't meant as a demonstration of excellent driving skills or anything else. The video is to show how the camera that took the video works, thats all.

I thought it would finally show what so many people have a hard time explaining and a harder time understanding----that its not really "heel-toe"

Watch a NASCAR road race. They love showing the "foot cam". Now, a majority of the professional driver's left foot brake and rev match rather than heel-toe. However, when they do use the heel-toe technique this is the how they do it----they roll the side of their foot onto the gas pedal under braking.

Originally posted by ahedau@Jun 2 2004, 06:44 AM
.... do use the heel-toe technique this is the how they do it----they roll the side of their foot onto the gas pedal under braking.

Great point Ahedau. You've found a way to rephrase my technique, and I've found a way to rephrase another technique, which has found a way to rephrase another technique and so forth.

The video does explain "heel toe" well. Perhaps we should change our terminology to "Revmatching".

-> Steve

Back