Hello, newbie questions but need some help.

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Chaiyz

Greetings and salutations everyone. I just want to say that this site is awesome.

I recently purchased a bone stock 1991 CRX DX, dpfi, auto with only 72,000 miles from the original owner. She’d blown the head gasket and whoever did her head work still has the head and cam gear. Anyway, I picked up the car for $500 and I think I did pretty good as it has new tires, new battery and a brand new radiator. The head bolts are in the hatch as well as all the parts removed when the head was removed.

What do I do? I’m wanting to drive the car but don’t want to buy a rebuilt PM3 head for $400 and then invest the money on a new timing belt and headgasket only to find that the motor burns 2 quarts a week etc. I’d love to find someone with a used head but my attempts to find one at the local parts yard keep coming up dry.

I’ve read a lot about swaps and have the mechanical abilities to do all the swaps necessary to make the car a driver but don’t know exactly where the best bang for the buck is.

My options seem to be simple but please tell me if I’m overlooking something. My best scenario would be to find a used head to get the car running and then to start aquiring the pieces to swap in a D16z6 manual, MPFI and the whole OBD0 to OBD1 conversion.

Looking for resources to find a good D16z6 with a tranny, what are my options?

I’m not sure of all the parts I’m gonna need and basically need some advice on which roads to go down. I’m not really wanting to put in a B16 as they’re not as common at the local parts yards and I’d like it to be a direct bolt up swap. I’m pretty good with wiring/splicing as well as tinkering but I just want to make the right decisions first, before I start spending money.

Making the old D15 auto run again would be great as I’d at least get to enjoy the car while I start finding all the parts I’d need for a swap.

Also, this may sound stupid but I don’t know what Vtec means or what it’s function actually is. Could someone explain?

Any links to other posts from DX auto owners involved in similar swaps?

Thanks in advance, will post pics soon and will keep the post open to show my progress.

Chaiyz

$400 for a PM3 head? That's ridiculous. Check out the classifieds on local forums and on here; you can find some for like $20-30. You can go for D16A6 head for a little more power; swaps right in.

Best bang would probably stay non-VTEC; just convert the car to MPFI and drop in a complete D16A6. You can go with a D16Z6 or Y8 but you'll need to convert to OBD1. You can't use a 92+ tranmission so look for a 89-91 Si one. Again, try classifieds section on local forums and on here for deals(post "WTB" ads).

VTEC is an acronym for Variable Valve Timing and Lift Electronic Control System. It's pretty much two cam profiles on one camshaft.

I was in the same situation when I got my car. But instead of getting the d16a6 I went with a DOHC ZC. I also swapped in a 5speed while I was at it. I did my swap with no experience with cars other than changing oil and changing spark plugs. If you do the research you can figure it out for the most part. The biggest limiting factor is going to be money. Best of luck to you!

I would go with a B18A1 out of a 90 or 91 integra. You would have to buy motor mounts and shift linkage. One nice factor is you can use the cable tranny. This will avoid the hydraulic issue entirely. The main problem is going DPFI to MPFI. Unfortunately no matter wich way you look at its a pain in the ass. Well worth it in the long run. My 91 si with 91 ls swap is very quick. As far as the D15 head problem, I'm sorry to say I've thrown abunch out.

greatings to everyone. i am new to this site and would like some help. i have a 1988 accord dx 4 door with the a20a1 engine. It is just about dead. i however dont want to replace it with the same type of engine. I am thinking of a b20z with a b16 head. could this work. what would i have to do in terms of mounts ect. what are my other options. any help would be appreciated. thanks in advance

greatings to everyone. i am new to this site and would like some help. i have a 1988 accord dx 4 door with the a20a1 engine. It is just about dead. i however dont want to replace it with the same type of engine. I am thinking of a b20z with a b16 head. could this work. what would i have to do in terms of mounts ect. what are my other options. any help would be appreciated. thanks in advance
Start a new thread for your own question.

Rywire here.
I suggest you do a d16z6 swap using an Si cable transmission. I like it, lil more pep than stock and super cheap to do. No motor mounts required.
If you've got a few thousand to blow, GSR or ITR is the way to go, forget the b16 & b18a. Not worth it IMO. When it comes to adding a $500 mount kit to the bill, I would want to mount the best thing i can. ;)

Back