Help .. 91 Civic

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

freeride205

hey guys i'm as new as it gets on the forum.
anyway i have a 91 civic that just does not start sometimes.
Like ill be driving around town no problems at all run into a store come out and it wont start ill wait anywhere from 10-30 mins sometimes more and then it will start.

Ive heard that its the distributor cap ive checked it ..swapped it still it does it

Anyway Thx Guys

well, does your main relay click and fuel pump hmm when its not wanting to start

i'm betting its either as simple as a loose ground, or it could be your main relay.

like AHhHvtak said does the relay click and fuel pump prime when you turn the key to run.

if its a loose ground wouldnt it not turn over ?
It turns over..
It might be a fuel pump but i thought when a fuel pump goes, it goes.

Next time it doesn't start try to hear if the fuel pump kicks on. I think its the main relay too. My CRX did the exact same thing and it turned out to be the relay.

It's more than likely your main relay. It will still try to turn over even if it is bad.. it just won't get fuel or spark. If you turn the car on to the on position you will hear it click and your CEL come on for a second then go off and you'll hear another click. If the CEL stays on and no clicks, bad relay.

Umm.. in the back. If no fuel or spark then it's the relay. The pump could be bad too if it doesn't come on but it's more than likely your relay.

It just started after a couple mins of turning over and it smelt flooded does this eleminate the main relay or is that still a possiblity

The relay will work.. then not work.. then work.. etc, until it totally goes. I bet you had your car all closed up. Then you went outside to try to get it to start and opened the windows and the inside of the car got cooler. Does it start fine in the morning or evening?

Also, did you listen for it clicking at all when it wouldn't start? The relay is right behind the change tray. I'm sure if you tried to listen when it doesn't start you will either hear it or not.

yeah thats basicly what just just happend
my dad is having a hard time beliving its heat related because of where we live (northren canada) and its not that warm right now.
but it sounds like your right im gonna order that relay and see what happends
Thx alot for helping me ill get back to you when i get that switch and we will se what happends

Back