Help breaking loose axle nut

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

si88crx

Tomorrow i plan on going to my local salvage yard and pulling off some knuckles on a 88 crx si since the ones on my car are hf knuckles and i need 26 spline knuckles. Would anybody know an easy way to remove the axle nut on the car without and impact gun or any weird way? Also the vehicle is raised up over gravel so if i lower it down it wont work so well.

They do make electric imapcts....

but, you'll probably need to leverage it some how, or hope the brakes work and bring a friend to hold the brake pedal in.

sounds like busted knuckles (yours ) waiting to happen :p

you'll need to lock the wheel from spinning somehow with the breaker bar. and then you'll need another breaker bar for leverage on your socket. bring a hammer too to impact as you apply pressure to break it loose, all while standing on the other breaker bar to stop it from moving... it's really a 2 person job without the right tool, and even then it will be a bitch.

If i use a long screwdriver to put betreet the spokes of the hub so that way when it turns it will be stuck against the brake caliber and that way it wont turn or would i still need someone to hold the brake?

I put someone on the brake pedal. I tell em "push bitch"

32mm socket is probably the size. I recall using a 1-1/8" open end wrench before but 32mm is the one.

1/2" breaker bar or craftsman ratchet (free repair if it breaks) and a metal tube to extend the breaker bar. Make sure you are pushing down. Dont pull up cuz you'll pull a nut (testicle)

agree'd breaker bar and a pipe... or Barrow someones snap on electric impact... what I used before.. and its a 32mm socket for civic

Bend the crushed in portion of the axle nut back out to allow the axle nut to turn a little easier. Hit the axle nut with PB blaster, have a friend hold the brakes, get a breaker bar, and get ready to curse and swear for a while.

if its at a salvage yard, why cant you just cut the axle boots, pull them apart, and have a local shop zip off the axle nuts and discard the cups that are in there? or if you need the axles with them, just pull the knuckle and axle out together, youll just need a prybar to pop the axles out of the trans

It was alot easier than i though it would be. soaked it in wd-40 and leaned on it with a breaker bar. next thing you know it gave away and broke loose.

Back