HELP - Caliper Frozen DAMNIT

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

HatchSpeeD

...Hi...
My driverside rear caliper is frozen. Not completely but enough to wear down my pad to nothing in a few days & started eating into the rotor (but only halfway, meaning not the entire length of rotor, yes all the way around but as of only the bottom part of the pad closest to the center/hub is wearing down). Phew...anyway I was hoping to knock this out tomorrow after work for I have a lot of driving to do.

A co-worker suggested to take off the caliper & take out the pads. Push the brake pedal all the way down & keep brake pedal depressed ofcourse to not allow air in the line (i'll use my autolock in between my seat & brake pedal :p ). The piston will come all the way out along with the seal/s. He said try cleaning all the crap out of it if any & put it back in. If not that, than ofcourse time for a new caliper.

Just wanted to get you peoples opinions on that before I attempt it tomorrow. Has anyone tried this? I would rather just repair the caliper & just slap it back on for now until I have time to order & wait for new pads/discs to be shipped. If i'm forced to change rotors & pads I might as well upgrade them for I was going to down the line. Kinda was thrown a curve ball here because i'm spending all my money into my engine build & my brakes are perfect otherwise. One thing to note the same thing happened the previous own according the maintenance history except it was the other side but in the rear still. Looks they repaired that caliper instead of changing it. I wonder if they did what I described or used one of those rebuild kits. This is for a 94 Del Sol vtec.

Last edited:
Back