Help! can't get bolt out!

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

92CHB

I am in the middle of putting my tanabe gf210 springs on i did the front now i am onto the back. i cant get the bottom bolt that connect the strut to the lower member thingy. I got the nut off now the bolt won't come out. i used a sh*t load of wd-40 which got the bolt to spin freely with my impact wrench but the bolt won't come out, i have tried a hammer multiple times and it wont come out either. I am about to wip out my grinder and cut the head off or something. I need help any ideas?!?

I just tried the other side and the head of the bolt just broke off! even better :angry:

Sounds like the bolt is seized inside the metal collar. Try using a punch and hammer or heating the bolt up til cherry red, quenching it with water and then hammering.

Originally posted by xyswany@Sep 5 2004, 06:25 PM
Sounds like the bolt is seized inside the metal collar. Try using a punch and hammer or heating the bolt up til cherry red, quenching it with water and then hammering.
[post=386453]Quoted post[/post]​

I have tried using a punch but that didn't seem to work. I thought of heating it up but i have no access to any type of torch till maybe tomorrow :( so if i heat it up to cherry red and quench it that might work or should i leave it cherry red?

if the bolt head broke off I think your going to need to tap and drill. you can try to weld or jb weld it back on but your chances of getting it out with the head broken off and it seized up in the hole are slim to none.

If I'm wrong somebody tell me and disregard this post. I'm just saying what I think will happen.

with the strut out heat up the bolt and collar to red hot and burn the rubber bushing doing so then simply punch out both the collar and the bolt and replace them with a new one

okay i got my friend over with his torch we heated it up to cherry red, then quenched it and it still didn't budge. We tried heating it and hitting it out when it was slowly cooling but no luck. I am at the point where i don't know what else to do. I really don't have the money for new shocks so i can't just cut the lower fork part of the strut. I notice like a metal spacer between the lower control arm and the strut fork is that really a spacer or is it part of the lower control arm cuz if it is just a spacer i might wip out my grinder with a cutting wheel and cut the spacer out. I really don't know what to do from here so any help/ideas is more than appreciated.

i had the same problem, bolt was seized in the bushing sleeve. i had to cut it off, and when i cut the shock off and got the bolt/sleeve combo out of the bushing, i still couldnt break them free from each other. sorry man looks like you are gonna have to cut it. :(

well i got the bolt out with the snapped head. now onto the other. does anyone know if the metal sleeve that sits inside the bushing comes with a replacment bushing or just where i can buy one. cuz if i can i am just gonna cut that sleeve out, i think...

The OEM replacements are only like 12 bucks, and you need a press you get the new ones in.

Originally posted by 92CHB@Sep 6 2004, 01:39 PM
well i got the bolt out with the snapped head. now onto the other. does anyone know if the metal sleeve that sits inside the bushing comes with a replacment bushing or just where i can buy one. cuz if i can i am just gonna cut that sleeve out, i think...
[post=386644]Quoted post[/post]​

you cant just replace that sleeve. you have to remove the entire lower control arm, and have that whole bushing pressed out, then press a new bushing in.

Originally posted by GSRCRXsi+Sep 6 2004, 11:37 PM-->
@Sep 6 2004, 01:39 PM
[post=386644]Quoted post[/post]​

you cant just replace that sleeve. you have to remove the entire lower control arm, and have that whole bushing pressed out, then press a new bushing in.
[post=386819]Quoted post[/post]​

okay, so removing that lower control arm shouldn't be too hard right? also that sleeve is just like a one time thing? it doesn't come with the bushing or have a oem part number?

Originally posted by GSRCRXsi@Sep 7 2004, 11:08 AM
the sleeve is a part of the bushing. and the LCA will come off with 3-4 bolts.
[post=386929]Quoted post[/post]​

Sweeeett thats just what i wanted to hear. Thanks everyone for all your help it's greatly appreciated :worthy: :worthy:

Back