Help, clutch won't slip!

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

cheese9988

VIP
I put my clutch together again today, still brand new clutch, pressure plate, and throwout bearing. I had the flywheel ground down just to be safe. The motor is out of the car... I put everything together and pull the clutch lever...not much resistance until it is almost all the way up, only has half inch or more to go. I have someone hold the axels and I turn the crank with a wrench and the axels still move and we are not able to get the clutch to slip. The tranny, flywheel, clutch, pressureplate and piolet bearing are all for an 88 si. What am I doing wrong? I have posted this before but no answer and I can't find anyone who can help. :eek:

When I have the pedal pushed in I would want the clutch to slip so the I can change gears I would think.

I have replaced a clutch before that was hydralic, so I never tried it before putting the motor back in, but I don't feel like dropping in the motor and then having to take it out because the clutch didn't work. The thing only has pressure at the very top, but even then the axels keep moving when I pull it up all the way, even if someone holds the axels while I turn the crank.

Does anybody know what could be wrong, suggestions? I can't put the motor in beacuse I want to make sure the clutch will work ok.

Wohoo! I think I found the problem. I took the tranny off again, took it into my house where I could see it better. What I didn't notice was that the lever was bent in a little and hitting the tranny. Its curved in that area so it has to be bent out far enough. I'm going to try it now! :rolleyes:

Back