1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help, clutch won't slip!

Discussion in 'General Tech and Maintenance' started by cheese9988, Feb 25, 2004.

1. cheese9988

cheese9988 Senior Member VIP

I put my clutch together again today, still brand new clutch, pressure plate, and throwout bearing. I had the flywheel ground down just to be safe. The motor is out of the car... I put everything together and pull the clutch lever...not much resistance until it is almost all the way up, only has half inch or more to go. I have someone hold the axels and I turn the crank with a wrench and the axels still move and we are not able to get the clutch to slip. The tranny, flywheel, clutch, pressureplate and piolet bearing are all for an 88 si. What am I doing wrong? I have posted this before but no answer and I can't find anyone who can help. :eek:

2. lude68

lude68 Senior Member

jw..but why are you wanting it to slip?

3. cheese9988

When I have the pedal pushed in I would want the clutch to slip so the I can change gears I would think.

4. cheese9988

I have replaced a clutch before that was hydralic, so I never tried it before putting the motor back in, but I don't feel like dropping in the motor and then having to take it out because the clutch didn't work. The thing only has pressure at the very top, but even then the axels keep moving when I pull it up all the way, even if someone holds the axels while I turn the crank.

5. MaaseyRacer

MaaseyRacer Senior Member

did you adjust the cable adjustment?

6. cheese9988

The cable isn't on yet, engine and tranny are out of car on my garage floor.

7. cheese9988

Does anybody know what could be wrong, suggestions? I can't put the motor in beacuse I want to make sure the clutch will work ok.

8. CRX_B16B

CRX_B16B Senior Member

Did you put he clutch in the right way?

9. cheese9988

10. cheese9988

Wohoo! I think I found the problem. I took the tranny off again, took it into my house where I could see it better. What I didn't notice was that the lever was bent in a little and hitting the tranny. Its curved in that area so it has to be bent out far enough. I'm going to try it now! :rolleyes:

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted