help! d15z1 what is this?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

jdmplur

please help! i have a 1991 honda crx si with a d15z1. this things seems to be built all wrong. it has a p06-ao2 ecu, p07 head, d15z1 block, crx si intake manifold, crx si exhaust manifold and 4- wire o2 sensor.please help me what is this or is it just a complete busted build. there also is no egr control box. what should i do with it i want to build the d15z1 the right way.should i get 5 wire o2 sensor, egr control box, p07 ecu, and the right intake and injectors and exhaust manifold? please help
i will ad pics later

Stock Z1 block has a P07 head(and MPFI; you sure it's a Si intake manifold? they look similar except the stock Z1 has puny runners and throttle body).

If you're going for fuel mileage, then yes install the stock VX components. Otherwise, just swap it out and sell it to someone who's interested in fuel economy.

d15z1 is from a 92-95 civic vx.
Looks like they made a mini-me type swap using the vx block.

The ecu needs to match the o2.
the p06 (from the 92-95 dx/lx) requires a 4-wire.

As long as it's not throwing codes, you don't need an EGR (it's emissions crap and doesn't effect the motor).

IF it's working, i'd say it sounds ok.

It has a p06-a02 ecu and 4 wire o2 sensor. And the d16a6 intake manifold with injectors from crx si and exhaust manifold from crx si. It doesn't throw any codes but does rev up and down and it only revs to 4500. and i don't feel the v-tec-e at all.I want the good gas mileage and for it to run how it is supposed to.
here are some pics of the motor. thanks for looking
100_0833.jpg

there is no vtec on a po6 ecu.... nor the head you are using.
Must've done some soft of obd1 conversion on it.

idel revving issues are usually due to the TPS, air in the coolant, or something else that would be throwing a code.

if its hitting a wall at 4500, it SHOULD be throwing a code. Jump the service conncetor anyway.

what head do i have? i thought it was p07 head with vtece.i think it is the tps sensor. what should i do with this i am ready to make it right?it has odb0-obd1 conversion harness by the ecu. what to do?

what do you suggest i do? So if i change to p07ecu that would be pointless and more trouble right? what should i do with this?

i'd try to find a friend who knows whats up with cars local and can take a look.

you bought someone elses hack job, and this is what it is.....

anyone else have any ideas what i should do? should i get the egr components and the right parts to make it a d15z1or should i leave it? it has crx si injectors is that why it bogs at 4500 and losts of smoke out of the tail? i want to make car reliable and get good gas mileage what should i do with it?

That IS a VTEC head. There's clearly a VTEC solenoid, and the only non-VTEC head with the spark-plugs forward is the D16Y7 head; which uses a P08 casting. P07 is specifically the VX head. That is not a mini-me but a D15Z1 longblock. You can also pull the valve cover off to see if it's indeed a Z1 head(2 intake lobes, one skinny and one thick, instead of 3 lobes or 2 identical ones).

This head uses VTEC-E. You already won't feel regular VTEC in a SOHC engine, and you especially will not feel it in a VTEC-E where the engagement is much lower and "minor". It's probably running like crap because the lack of VTEC is causing it to stay in "1-valve" operation mode; or simply the ECU is bad or wired wrong. How do they have that solenoid wired?

If you want to bring back the gas mileage; either swap in a D15B8 intake manifold or stock manifold, swap over to the P07(VX) ECU and O2 sensor. If you want to go a little further, also swap in a HF transmission. That header looks like the stock VX unit so I'd just leave it. The engine is designed to run in lean-burn mode which is why you need the ECU and O2 sensor.

Last edited:
the z1 uses 190cc injectors instead of usual 240cc honda injectors. the p06 wont run it correctly, so it'll be a rough ride to vtec pops, but since its a p06 ecu, no vtec at all.

p07 is the z1 head so no worries. the block is good. find the z1 injectors and ecu and you should be fine.

thanks alot i am pretty sure it is a p07 head . so i need the 190CC INJECTORS, the p07 ecu, and 5 wire o2 sensor. should i change exhaust manifold for the 02snesor and do i need the catylatic converter from a vx.also shouldnt i change the intake manifold . do i need the egr control box?i found a p07 for $25 bucks.thanks for the help im not sure how they have the vtec solenoid wired what should i check. i know it has the wrong intake and exhaust what to do?

can i use the crx hf lof manifold or does it have to be from a 92-95 civic vx. do i need to change my intake manifold with the injectors or can i just change injectors.

I'll look into the 190cc injector issue; I have a VX engine so that's not a problem for me to check.

You do not need to change the exhaust manifold and no, you don't need a specific catalytic converter if you already have one. Changing the intake manifold will help with mileage.

You can use an HF log manifold; it should be very similar to the VX manifold; though you'd need that specific catalytic converter to fit those manifolds.

The exhausts should not make as much of a difference as the intake manifold so I'd just leave it alone.

thanks alot man i am now looking to buy some injectors fuel rail and intake from a vx. a will keep the exhaust i have for now. also i am getting the p07 ecu thanks alot i will keep you updated how this goes for me .do i need the egr control box if i switch to a vx intake manifold.

Back