Help! D16z6 Crank Pulley Bolt

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

porkfried83

My D15B7 blow, so I'm swapping it out for a D16Z6. And I'm replacing the timing belt on the D16Z6, well its on the engine stand. But I can't get the crank pulley off. I tried heating the bolt that don't work....I bought a 50mm hex head crank pulley holder and took to breaker bars, plus heated the bolt first...that didn't work. Anybody have any idea's. I'm open for suggestions. :wtf:

what are you using the heat the bolt? propane and mapp/oxy setups never do the job for me, ive always used oxy/acetylene and heated the top of the bolt cherry red and hit it with my air gun and it zipped right out. never had any problems and ive done tons of cars like that.

I was using propane to maybe break the friction. How many Ft./lbs of torque is your air gun?

I borrowed a friends, and looked it up online and it is only 425ft lbs of torque, I don't think it will do the trick, won't hurt to try! I'm gonna call some automotive stores and rent the biggest one they have!

I use a 3/4" drive gun for that - make sure you have plenty of air pressure and use a socket designed for impact gun use.

Like the other guys already posted - a big gun is the way to go.

I have a pretty good size air compressor, I'll have to find a 3/4" drive gun with some sockets. I'm only set up for 1/2" drive right now!

If it's really stuck, it will probably take 500+ ft lbs to break it loose. Be sure and soak it good with some thread break free spray lube - liquid wrench type stuff.

Doesn't take a huge air compressor - anything that will hold pressure at the guns rated cfm. 1hp is probably good enough, more hp is better if you have to lean on the gun to get it loose. Most air tools run at 90 psi, some 100 psi. There are times when I crank up the regulator a bit (125 psi max) when needed. I genarally run my guns @ 90 psi. I use a 3/4" to 1/2" reducer on the big gun so I can use my 1/2" drive socket set. Don't use the 3/4" drive much - only for times like what you are dealing with.

Last edited:
Yeah, the more miles, the more stuck they get it seems, This engine has 149,000 on it. Thanks for the info. I'm kinda a newbie at this stuff, well at least this is the biggest project I have taken on mechanic wise.

I've never rented a large impact gun before. Picked my 3/4" drive at Harbor Freight - it's an el cheapo - but fine for my shop, don't use it often.

You should be able to find one at a tool rental shop along with a 3/4" to 1/2" reducer adaptor. If you were anywhere near me I'd let you use mine.

good ol craftsman pro impact works evertime or big ass breaker bar if u wedge the flywheelwith a prybar

Well I finale got the crank pulley bolt off, I had three people that I were hanging out with in the driveway help me. I wedged a big screwdriver in the flywheel and had them three keep the engine from turning and falling off the engine stand. Then took a 24" breaker bar and 2' 1/2" foot cheater pipe and broke it free. You know that feeling after working at something for so long and finale had success.
smile.gif
I wonder whats next that I'm going to get stuck on
huh.gif

Congrats! i do know that feeling, just had to fight with a crank bolt on a 93 coupe i picked up last weekend, ended up putting the car in 5th gear, someone inside the car standing on the brakes, and using a 2 1/2' breaker bar with a 2' cheater pipe to bust it loose!

Or disconnect the engine mount, drop it down, and hit it with an impact like a pro.

Thanks..........When you don't have a big impact gun like me, get a 2' 1/2"- 6lb steel cheater pipe. That only cost me a $1 at the metal recycling yard! lol

Back