help! d16z6 swap into 91 civic hatchback

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

91efvtec

hi, to start heres a little backround, i am new to this site and hondas. i have always been into cars but growing up were i did it was always american mucle and thats what i have been into ever since i was little but one of my friends always was into imports and i do not discriminate when it comes to cars, so he got me into that secne, and to be honest there in close competition if not better. he took me to sema two years in a row and that sealed it for me, there is so much out there other than american mucle cars. i have a 85 cutlass with a 383 stroker in it and tons of other stuff and that is my mucle car. that car used to be my daily driver and after i did it all up i needed something to drive. i picked up a 91 civic hatch with 1.5 and a 4 speed, slow as hell! but good on gas. the car is in great shape and has adjustable coil overs and full exhaust and early 90's gsr wheels but is has 151,000 mi and is very very tired. i love the car and after a lot of research and learning ( dont no everything yet) i decided to swap in a d16z6 with si 5 spd cable tranny. i am gettin the motor and tranny from jsamotors.com and dude is givin me a good deal, i just dont trust ebay for a motor. when doing my research on swapping this engine i found a lot of information on this site, which kicks ass, and decided to join because i need help.

Questions:
1. what kind of tools will i need and i mean everything down to what socket sizes.
2. i am going to order the complete engine, tranny (cable) and a ecu from a 92-95. i plan on replacing the timing belt and water pump befor i install it. but is this all i need, if not what else is there?
3. i am so confused on this wiring stuff, the dude from jsa told me that the engine comes with the engine harness but it is jdm therefore it is made for a righthand drive car he told me to get rid of that when i get the engine and use the harness from my 1.5. i dont get though, how a dpfi harness will work on a mpfi engine not to mention the vtec part??
4. i also know that i need a conversion harness, but what kind? is it obd1-obd0 or obd0-obd1 i ask this because i am using a 92-95 ecu with the harness from a obd0 engine.
5. i also would love it if someone knew a kick ass write up on the swap itself, engine removal and new engine install. i know someone has done this before.

i love hondas and all imports for that matter, i am currently in areonautical school for aviation mantenance so i am technically inclined i just need some guidence. thank you and sorry for the huge thread.

swap info

wsup, use all the engine wiring from a 90-91 civic/ crx (SI)

Including the ECU, DIZZ and RESISTOR BOX (which is located in the drivers side

corner of the engine bay, green clip)

You will have to trim the DIZZ HOUSING FOR SPARK TIMING PURPOSES

A TIMING LIGHT WOULD BE GREAT TO SET THE TIMING CORRECTLY

RELAX, ITS AN EASY SWAP. I JUST LEARNED THE HARD WAY:driver: KEEP SHIFTIN!

Back