help!! D16z6 turbo sputter

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

beegjap

I just bought a 93 cx w/a sohc-v turbo. It looks like it was pieced together but with mostly greddy parts. I'm fairly new to boostin but know most of the basics. the problem is that the car sputters when under load. when I check the boost gauge I can floorboard it until it reaches 0-1 psi. then I need to feather the throttle(like 1/4 throttle or less) just to keep it from sputtering. I just want it running ok so I can sell it . any suggestions? thanks

Boost leaks perhaps? If its only building up 0-1 psi, than your losing boost somewhere, whether it be in the IC piping, the wastegate and so forth.

If it can build more boost, than its probably a fuel issue. Do you know what was done to the fuel system/ecu? Is it all stock? In order to successfully drive a turbo car, in my eyes, you MUST upgrade the fuel pump, injectors, some engine management and have it tuned.

is there any way to tell if it's tuned? sorry if it sounds like a dum ? but I"m very very green when it comes to boosted motors. I checked all the clamps twice so I doubt it's a turbo leak. what do you guys think about the omni power 4 bar map sensor? would it solve the problem? or do I need to have someone chip my ecu? thanks for the help guys.

oh, also I just noticed that the injector harness is wrapped w/electric tape so maybe there is bigger injectors. but from what I can see now, it has a Y8 or Y7 style manifold w/stock fuel rail, and no fmu. the white 2 wire sensor is just hanging on the side. don't know what it is but my guess is that the y8 or y7 mani doesn't have the mount for the sensor. I think it's ok cause there's no cel yet.

Back