HELP! d16zc in a 1990 crx dx

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

crxhoppa

crx project
i want to put a d16zc dohc in my 1990 crx dx. i was told i need the 3rd generaton zc, is this right? will the zc bolt right up? i was also told i need axels too..wat kind of axles? 90-93 integra axles? will it wire right up or do i have to get a different wiring harness..if so which one? is thier anything else i need to get this engine in my crx? thankz:D

just look around. If you see one for 600 or less, grab it. 700 and up your paying too much. Dont get the ZC tranny, just use your stocker or find a Si 5 spd. uses all stock mounts and axles. If your running a Si, wire harness is the same, minus the distro plus. Easy swap, just depin the wires and match em up.

alright thankz.. i keep finding them online n shit some for like 500-600 n some for 700-900 n sumtimes a grand but i think im goin to look at some junk yards and see if they have any and im also goin to get a 89 integra ecu and an si wireing harness and an si transmission for better gearing.. i have the dx right now nd i was told that an integra ecu would give me a bigger difference in speed and fuel. its just hard trying to find tha 88-91 zc.

You wont find any at a junkyard unless somebody's swapped hatch happens to be there, and they were stupid enough to leave the motor in. Regardless of what anybody tells you, the D16A1 (integra) engine WILL NOT FIT in your EF, its not the same thing as a DOHC ZC, but it is similar. I have the PG7 Integra ECU you seek, $68 to cr240sx@cox.net and its shipped to you the same day you pay. I got a PR4 also, its socketed for running chips, if you decide to go turbo.

Only difference in the DX tranny and SI tranny is the final drive. I have driven both, and personally I wish I had the DX for the lower final drive, save myself a little gas, plus I would enjoy a little longer gears, the Si's are shorter than Gary Coleman. Your DX trans will deliver.

Is your EF a DX or Si? I can do the conversion for 100 cheaper than rywire can. send me your stock harness and a harness from a 89 Integra/ ZC.

Last edited:
well i dont know now. i want to do the most easiest swap and the cheapest cuz im veryy tight on money..soo wat would really be the easiest and cheapest swap i could do?

The ZC will bolt directly into your car and make more power, so if you can find one that is what I would recommend. You probably won't be able to get one anywhere but an engine importer though, because they were never sold in the US. You should be able to get a DOHC ZC in your car for under a grand with the ECU since you can use almost all your other stock parts with it. It will probably even be less than that, but I always plan a little over because you never know what you'll run into when you start tearing your engine out & might need more parts you didn't think about before.

As far as buying the motor check out Hmotorsonline. I got my motor and tranny from them, pretty fast shipping and once I worked out all of the bugs it fired right up.

I am pretty pleased with choosing to go the ZC route, I was pretty tight on cash as well which is why I went with the ZC swap. If you can afford it I would go ahead and get some new motor mounts as well, since your gonna have them out any way.

i still dont know what engine im going to use.

i was thinking of doin a B16 SiR swap, i know its obdo so i dont have to redo all the wiring,

but would i still need to get mounts>?

if so were could i get the CHEAPEST mounts for it?

also would you rebuild it all before you put it in?

wat are the parts to to do a full rebuild, and the performance parts as well?

Yes you will need a custom mount kit, and you will also need to buy the full changeover which includes engine, trans, ECU, shift linkage (which needs to be shortened or buy a custom one), and you'll also need to run the wires for VTEC to your ECU. The ZC will basically drop right in and you will be finished.

Blanco, that was real good advice. I'm looking at a ZC swap too. But it won't happen until after I get EVERYTHING else squared away in my car, and it is comepletly back to stock, reliable running condition.

And then WHEN the engine gets tired (has 260K miles now) I will upgrade to a ZC.

At least that's my plan now.

One question tho, will my AC and cruise control work with a ZC?

Thanks
Alex

lol ...

if you want a d16a6 i got one in my back yard ...

just took it out.

there is something blown in it (havent looked yet) but i plan on selling really cheep to make up. :)

Back