Help determining which bearings to buy.

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

fionntan

Banned
I need some help figuring out which bearings I need. I know how to match the letters on the block and the numbers on the crank, but I cant read some of the numbers. Is there another way to tell, or can I somehow make the numbers more visible by lightly sanding or cleaning with some sort of solvent. I dont want to mess up the crank by sanding, or using something that would somehow affect the coating on the journals. I have the bearings that were originally there and they are color coded, but I think this engine has been rebuilt at some point because one of the rod bearing caps was facing the opposite direction from the other three, so I dont want to trust that they are the right sizes. Any help or recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Here is a picture of the crank, it may help you understand what I am talking about. The fourth nob over has a 1 and the sixth has a 2, but that is all I can make out. And the crank is not being stored on it side like in the picture, it is standing on its end.
PB230007.jpg

SO basically I just buy the green as a generic guide. Then plastigauge to see how much clearance there really is. Then buy new bearings based on the measurements correct. I am going to try the alcohol first and then go from there.
I just checked out Majestic Luis and their prices are really good. I have been looking at manchester honda, but majestic is lower by about a dollar a bearing which is cool.

Last edited:
Thanx a lot. I am going to try and clean it first, but if that doesnt work then you gave me more then enough info to get it worked out.

Anytime. :)

Another helpful tip. Use a laminated card, like a video store membership card, to scrape the Plastigage off of the test bearing and journals. Be gentle so you don't scrape the coating off of the bearing. Do two rods with one bearing half and then flip them over so you can use the other half for the other two rods.

:werd: The laminated card works very well. It took me awhile to figure out what to use, then I was looking in my wallet and saw my Safeway club card :)

Plastic cards are a great way to take apart cell phones too (any small or sensitive things for that matter).

Wonderful information by everyone. I have learned!

Here are some pics of the crank after I cleaned the numbers with alcohol. It worked really well, which is good because I didnt want to have to go through the trouble of measuring everything. Thanx again Blanco.

PB300001.jpg

PB300002.jpg

PB300003.jpg

Back