Help! Emissions & Swap

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Luap

Okay so recently I have came across a 00 Civic Si that was given to me for free. The car has a blown motor in it so basically it is a shell. I also have a 92 Civic Si in which i swapped an obd 1 b18c into (Jdm Gsr motor).

Here lies the problem.

I live in MD and emissions have been screwing me over for the last 3 years on the EG. I decided to swap the motor out of the EG and into the EK. I realize that the EK is obd2b in which for emissions I have to keep it obd2 to pass. The motor is obd1 so the question i guess i have is.. Is there a way to swap the obd1 motor into my ek, keep the obd2 ecu, and pass emissions?

If you guys have any other ways to make this work id appreciate the info. Thanks =]

if your having problems passing emmissions while obd1, than you can kiss your inspection goodbye when you goto obd2. more wiring, more sensors, a secondary o2 AND most of all, its not easy to tune obd2. you will be subject to afc hacks. Just keep it in the obd1 car and lean the shit out of it and u will pass emmissions. they only use a sniffer in the tail pipe. with obd2, they plug a piggy back into your fuse panel and read from the ecu so it will be harder to sneak by them.

Let me clarify, The only reason I failed with the b18c in my 92 is because its jdm. I wanna swap that motor into the 00 civic si but I need to know what I have to do to pass emissions (requires that my ecu is readable through the fuse box).

Can i keep the obd1 ecu and still have it be able to send a signal out to the obd2 scanning point?

Let me clarify, The only reason I failed with the b18c in my 92 is because its jdm. I wanna swap that motor into the 00 civic si but I need to know what I have to do to pass emissions (requires that my ecu is readable through the fuse box).

Can i keep the obd1 ecu and still have it be able to send a signal out to the obd2 scanning point?

No.

1) you wont fail inspection just because your engine is JDM.
2) you cannot run obd1 ecu and use an obd2 scan tool.
3) to pass emissions, you need the following:

- non chipped ecu (stock maps, has to be obd2 if in 96+)
- catalytic converter w/secondary o2 plugged in after the cat
- quiet exhaust (varies thru the states)
- no check engine lights. (you fail automatically if u have a CEL on)

so can i run an obd 2 ecu from the b16a in the 00 civic si with a b18c obd1 motor installed? is there a conversion wiring harness? if so then wouldnt i just need the harness and the o2 sensor? im asking is there a way to put the motor in and pass?

and yes i know jdm doesnt mean it wont pass but the extra emission being let out byy thhe fuel injectors and such are making it impossible. I almost doubled the maximum for ppm on everything/

Aren't there conversion harnesses for just such an occasion? You keep the OBD2 ECU, in the 96+ car, with an OBD1 motor? Of course that would require bypassing such non OBD1 sensors like the cam pos. sensor and the crank sensor, the 2nd O2 sensor, EGR, EVAP, etc., which the OBD2 ecu would be looking for signal from. These will all throw codes and you will fail, depending on the state. Also, the OBD2 port isn't necessarily in or near the fuse panel. It is always inside the car but can be quite far from the fuses.

How "blown" is the Si motor? Depending on what's wrong with it, it may be cheaper and less time consuming to just fix the current engine.

Back